The Student Room Group

Will a 5 in English Literature lead you to a good career?

Hi, I completed my GCSE for English Lit and achieved a 5. I'm upset with this grade, as in mock exams, I was achieving 7s and 8s, but in the real exam I did a stupid mistake of writing a quotation that I believed was in the book, but yet was in another book. I have the chance of resitting, but I'm not sure If I want to, as I feel like I cannot concentrate on English Language and my other subjects if I think about English Lit at the same time. Should I put my all in the English Language and keep the 5 for English Lit? Or retake English Lit and also do English Language at the same time. (Also if I resit, even if I get a worse grade than a 5, I still keep the highest result) Thank you for reading.
Reply 1
Most employees/universities will only ask for a minimum grade C (which is equivalent to a 5), I would recommend resitting it though if you're confident you'll do better as some universities ask for grade B. If not, I wouldn't worry about it too much.
Unless you're going into an English course, Language is the important one.
There's other factors that will influence your job options; the 5 in Lit won't make or break a decision on its own, in my opinion.
Use your discretion- you know how much work you have on and how much you can handle.
Reply 3
I'm not sure if I want to resit, because I'd have to revise for both English Language and Literature, and also my other subjects. I know a 5 in English Lit can guarantee an entry in most universities, however if I get a 7 or an 8 in Language, would that boost my English GCSE grade overall?

Quick Reply

Latest