Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I have applied to (k100) UCL, bath, Manchester, Westminster, and (k101) UCL architecture and interdisciplinary studies. I really like the Bartlett and it is my no.1 choice, however studying product design and not art, I am worried that my portfolio won’t be ‘artsy’ enough. Are the views on portfolios/ chance of receiving an offer much different between the UCL courses, and if so, by how much?
    I am predicted A*AA (B epq)

Thanks
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    (Original post by Sannnn)
    I have applied to (k100) UCL, bath, Manchester, Westminster, and (k101) UCL architecture and interdisciplinary studies. I really like the Bartlett and it is my no.1 choice, however studying product design and not art, I am worried that my portfolio won’t be ‘artsy’ enough. Are the views on portfolios/ chance of receiving an offer much different between the UCL courses, and if so, by how much?

Thanks
    I've moved this into the Architecture and the Built Environment forum - you'll see there's a stickied 2018 applicants thread. A LOT of TSR architecture applicants will also be applying to UCL (including people who applied last year) so they should be able to help you

ReputationRep:

Thanks
    you guys got the assessment task from UCL and does anyone have any clue on what to do on it?

ReputationRep:
    hello guys I just received my assessment task from UCL and I have a vague idea of what to do, but what I can’t understand is this part “Whichever theme you choose your drawings need to communicate ways of recording and seeing the world.”
    pls send help

ReputationRep:
    What’s your Bartlett’s task?

ReputationRep:
    Everyone got the same one i think

ReputationRep:
    Everyone got the same one i think
    My tasks was due on November the 8th so I assumed that they might give different tasks for people that applied after that date

ReputationRep:
    Ah mine were due by the 15th

ReputationRep:
    Ah mine were due by the 15th
    WAt did u do?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BroNanny)
    WAt did u do?
    Hey, my deadline was the 2nd, we all get 2 weeks to submit from the date of receiving the task. I chose 'from a public space to a private space', and drew observational studies of people in public spaces, stressing on their own bubble, i.e drawings of someone in public transport etc,

What did you choose to do, and what subject did you pick?

As for the OP's question, I went to the department open day last month, and it seems UCl likes to see the developmental stages of why you chose to do something, rather than just the final product itself. So, by that theory, it doesn't really matter if your portfolio consists of traditional Fine art material, or graphics design, or even something else entirely- (I remember one of the applicants telling me they're planning to make a DIY bed frame, and that was going to be their portfolio)- as long as you can show the stages of your work, your thought process, and why you did it, I think it should be fine.

I have to get my portfolio sorted myself

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Saf5238)
    Hey, my deadline was the 2nd, we all get 2 weeks to submit from the date of receiving the task. I chose 'from a public space to a private space', and drew observational studies of people in public spaces, stressing on their own bubble, i.e drawings of someone in public transport etc,

What did you choose to do, and what subject did you pick?

As for the OP's question, I went to the department open day last month, and it seems UCl likes to see the developmental stages of why you chose to do something, rather than just the final product itself. So, by that theory, it doesn't really matter if your portfolio consists of traditional Fine art material, or graphics design, or even something else entirely- (I remember one of the applicants telling me they're planning to make a DIY bed frame, and that was going to be their portfolio)- as long as you can show the stages of your work, your thought process, and why you did it, I think it should be fine.

I have to get my portfolio sorted myself
    Same 😂 did the same one
    Did you get an interview already? Cus all I got was ‘receipt’ that says they got my submission. 🙄

ReputationRep:
    Same 😂 did the same one
    Did you get an interview already? Cus all I got was ‘receipt’ that says they got my submission. 🙄
    Me too! I've sent mine in a month ago, got the 'received' email just like you, but haven't heard anything since. I was looking at a similar forum to this one from last year, and it seems UCL do interviews in different batches. Few applicant had their interviews around this time, like the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd of December, where batches of about 40-60 people went in throughout the day. The next group of people had their interviews in early march- quite a long gap, but that seemed to be the case. Perhaps we'll have our interviews around that time?? (I hope so, cause MY PORTFOLIO CRII). Not trying to get our hopes down, but similarly, apparently they left it till the very last day to reject some applicants too. D: Which is so awful, it gives us hope only to let us down in the most horrible way loool T_T

ALSO!! no way!! you did the exact same thing too?! 😂 Many others may have done it too then! loool I literally couldn't think of a single creative way of doing the task, I felt so restricted!! Wish they had a collection of exemplar tasks from previous years on their site, that would have been so helpful. I hated the outcomes tbh, didn't like a single piece, but had to give it in, cause time ran out. D:

ReputationRep:
    Me too! I've sent mine in a month ago, got the 'received' email just like you, but haven't heard anything since. I was looking at a similar forum to this one from last year, and it seems UCL do interviews in different batches. Few applicant had their interviews around this time, like the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd of December, where batches of about 40-60 people went in throughout the day. The next group of people had their interviews in early march- quite a long gap, but that seemed to be the case. Perhaps we'll have our interviews around that time?? (I hope so, cause MY PORTFOLIO CRII). Not trying to get our hopes down, but similarly, apparently they left it till the very last day to reject some applicants too. D: Which is so awful, it gives us hope only to let us down in the most horrible way loool T_T

ALSO!! no way!! you did the exact same thing too?! 😂 Many others may have done it too then! loool I literally couldn't think of a single creative way of doing the task, I felt so restricted!! Wish they had a collection of exemplar tasks from previous years on their site, that would have been so helpful. I hated the outcomes tbh, didn't like a single piece, but had to give it in, cause time ran out. D:
    TBH no one would like their outcomes as its timed. And that does seem to be a cruel blow to someone 0_0

I panicked so much omds. I got the task just before half term, and I didnt know how to do it or wat it even meant. So as soon as half term finished, I was just contacting teachers asking what it mean. And also one thing I cant seem to understand is what they meant by putting a sentence to talk about the drawing you did.

Wats ur other choices like for uni?

ReputationRep:
    TBH no one would like their outcomes as its timed. And that does seem to be a cruel blow to someone 0_0

I panicked so much omds. I got the task just before half term, and I didnt know how to do it or wat it even meant. So as soon as half term finished, I was just contacting teachers asking what it mean. And also one thing I cant seem to understand is what they meant by putting a sentence to talk about the drawing you did.

Wats ur other choices like for uni?
    Me too 😭 I sent the task literally the day before the deadline with an £8 postage fee to make sure it’d arrive the next day before 12 loool that’s how last minute I left it. As for the sentence, I think they just wanted you to explain why you chose to do what you did, how it connects to your chosen theme etc..I think they just wanted to better understand your thinking process, that’s all.

For my other choices, I’ve applied to Cardiff, Sheffield, Newcastle and Cambridge. I’ve gotten rejected from Camb, and offers from Cardiff and Newcastle. Still waiting on UCL and Sheffield, the only other two I actually care about 😭

What about you, which ones did you apply to?

ReputationRep:
    Me too 😭 I sent the task literally the day before the deadline with an £8 postage fee to make sure it’d arrive the next day before 12 loool that’s how last minute I left it. As for the sentence, I think they just wanted you to explain why you chose to do what you did, how it connects to your chosen theme etc..I think they just wanted to better understand your thinking process, that’s all.

For my other choices, I’ve applied to Cardiff, Sheffield, Newcastle and Cambridge. I’ve gotten rejected from Camb, and offers from Cardiff and Newcastle. Still waiting on UCL and Sheffield, the only other two I actually care about 😭

What about you, which ones did you apply to?
    You applied for Cambridge? 😳 u must be predicted A*AA right then? I’ve applied Nottingham, Reading, Southampton and dundee. Engineering for Southampton. I have an interview on Wednesday for Reading😬😬😬😬

ReputationRep:
    You applied for Cambridge? 😳 u must be predicted A*AA right then? I’ve applied Nottingham, Reading, Southampton and dundee. Engineering for Southampton. I have an interview on Wednesday for Reading😬😬😬😬
    Oh my gosh!! How exciting, congrats on bagging an interview, now go and impress their pants off, good luck for it! Interviews make me nervous af, thankfully I haven’t had to take any yet, but UCL for sure gives interviews before giving any offers so oh well. I’m predicted A*A*A*, but realistically I’m probs gonna get A*A*A, unless I work socks off.
    Anyone can apply to Camb and get rejected, it’s no big deal, getting in is whats impressive lmao

Do you live very far from reading?

ReputationRep:
    Oh my gosh!! How exciting, congrats on bagging an interview, now go and impress their pants off, good luck for it! Interviews make me nervous af, thankfully I haven’t had to take any yet, but UCL for sure gives interviews before giving any offers so oh well. I’m predicted A*A*A*, but realistically I’m probs gonna get A*A*A, unless I work socks off.
    Anyone can apply to Camb and get rejected, it’s no big deal, getting in is whats impressive lmao

Do you live very far from reading?
    predicted A*A*A? 0_0 wow

I'm predicted 'just' AAB. Also the fact that UCL may give you late interviews shouldnt let you down cus u might have done interviews before, hence you'll be less nervous. And thanks, idk how I got an interview but yh i somehow did ?! there was a guy who i used to live near and he went to my secondary skl and hes now doing physics first yr at cambridge. likewise i have handful of friends doing cambridge papers.

Luckily my friend did her interview at Reading on the 30th of November, I've just asked her friend to ask her wat going to come up. I live in London so not to far, if I end up at Reading, I'll still be living at home just because, I don't to move out yet . also its a group interview so...yh thats that

ReputationRep:
    predicted A*A*A? 0_0 wow

I'm predicted 'just' AAB. Also the fact that UCL may give you late interviews shouldnt let you down cus u might have done interviews before, hence you'll be less nervous. And thanks, idk how I got an interview but yh i somehow did ?! there was a guy who i used to live near and he went to my secondary skl and hes now doing physics first yr at cambridge. likewise i have handful of friends doing cambridge papers.

Luckily my friend did her interview at Reading on the 30th of November, I've just asked her friend to ask her wat going to come up. I live in London so not to far, if I end up at Reading, I'll still be living at home just because, I don't to move out yet . also its a group interview so...yh thats that
    The thing is, I don’t think any of my other unis will ask for an interview; Sheffield maybe, but idk, UCL is the only definite, assuming I even get invited for one lmao Good luck for your interview regardless. And group interview?! I’ve never heard of that, I thought all interviews worked one to one 🤔

ReputationRep:
    The thing is, I don’t think any of my other unis will ask for an interview; Sheffield maybe, but idk, UCL is the only definite, assuming I even get invited for one lmao Good luck for your interview regardless. And group interview?! I’ve never heard of that, I thought all interviews worked one to one 🤔
    Thanks

yh so its going to be like me and about 5 other applicants plus the tutor. we discuss each others work and have a 10 min one on one session. its pretty informal, involves group discussions. basically just dont be the quiet person and always contribute.

thats awesome you got two offers already, Newcastle is seriously good and I'd consider it you know. I was going to put it but opted for Nottingham instead. I kinda also regret not putting Loughborough instead of Dundee. But wat ever. I got one offer and thats from S'ton.

Also what do you do for A-Levels?

ReputationRep:
    Thanks

yh so its going to be like me and about 5 other applicants plus the tutor. we discuss each others work and have a 10 min one on one session. its pretty informal, involves group discussions. basically just dont be the quiet person and always contribute.

thats awesome you got two offers already, Newcastle is seriously good and I'd consider it you know. I was going to put it but opted for Nottingham instead. I kinda also regret not putting Loughborough instead of Dundee. But wat ever. I got one offer and thats from S'ton.

Also what do you do for A-Levels?
    Is Newcastle actually good?? Tbh I have very little background knowledge of NCU, I had one more pace left on my application and just put it in as a filler, I regret not putting down Bath uni now crii, but as you’ve so succinctly said, wat ever, no point crying over spilt milk lmao

I don’t even know what uni I want to put as my firm and insurance, at times I love them all and want to go to all of them, then the next day I hate all my choices. I wish I could live there over a weekend or something to really get a taste. I’ve heard they have very good nightlife at Newcastle, but I don’t drink, and want to stay mostly out of that sort of ‘uni culture’ thing lol.

The group interview sounds so amazing!! It’d love to do that, to hear everyone else’s opinions etc sounds fun and engaging. I’ve only just mentally preparered myself for one-to-one intense interrogation styled interviews baha so this concept seems strange.

My subjects are modern history, Fine art and Digital Graphics; all very straightforward, really. What do you do?

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 8, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.