Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Buying a new TV Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hi folks

I'm thinking of buying a new widescreen TV. I haven't bought one for over 20 years and would like advice on what features both essential and 'nice to have' features I should look for when selecting my TV.

Also, do you suggest I should select the TV model from the popular makes such as Sony, Toshiba, Panasonic etc, or should I widen my choice?

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    Congrats! Enjoy the new one.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by geek84)
    Hi folks

I'm thinking of buying a new widescreen TV. I haven't bought one for over 20 years and would like advice on what features both essential and 'nice to have' features I should look for when selecting my TV.

Also, do you suggest I should select the TV model from the popular makes such as Sony, Toshiba, Panasonic etc, or should I widen my choice?

Thanks
    I would recommend getting hold of the 'Which' magazine and having a look at the best buys.

ReputationRep:
    Hi folks

Thanks
    If your TV is over 20 years old, you will be happy with anything on the market now. Just buy something on Black Friday as you're obviously not that bothered about the latest tech, so may as well save some money.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Hi folks

Thanks
    Personally: I go for Samsung or LG. They're the best TV's IMO. Go for one which has a nice LED backlit screen and perhaps one which is "smart"/internet enabled.

If you can give me an idea of what type of TV you want (size, .etc), then I'll be more than willing to give you recommendations

ReputationRep:
    Samsung is my option
    • TSR Group Staff

ReputationRep:
    I would always go for Samsung. And did last year. But LG are very good too. Depends on budget as ever. Size. 4K. If you just plan to watch TV on it or for console gaming?

ReputationRep:
    I do a lot of work with digital screens and lately have come to really despise Samsung due to poor QA practices and support. LG are quite good. In terms of raw image quality I have always preferred Sharp. Admittedly my main TV at home is a Panasonic, but that is mainly because it was on sale when I bought it.

In terms of features it really depends on what you want to do with it. 90% of my TV viewing is done through a Chromecast so I just need an HDMI input on the TV. I would go for one with at least 2 HDMI inputs so you can plug in something like a Chromecast and some kind of set top box without fiddling with wires. One that supports playing media via a USB drive is also a handy feature.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources

Articles:

The Student Room tech wikiTech forum guidelines

Quick link:

Unanswered technology and computers threads

Sponsored features:

Web Legend

Win a Macbook Air!

Blog about setting up a website for a chance to win in our Web Legend competition.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.