Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

A few questions about a possible career in the British army ..... Watch

ReputationRep:
    1) To be in the army do you have to be really loud and confident ?
    Because at times i can be but sometimes i can go pretty quiet and like not know what to say....

2) Is a career in the army for people who dont get the highest grades in exams ?
    Just wondered as in my research i realised that the academic entry requirements for most roles i looked at are not very high .... like Cs and Ds at GCSE.

3) Whats the percentage of British soldiers dieing in action ?
    Just curious as to wheather its going to be really high....

4) Is it hard to get into the army ?
    - I know you have to be extremely physically fit but do they like accept you into training and not put you through till your fit enough or would you just get turned away at the first hurdle?

5) Throughout the interview process is there a set number of places and so your 'competing for the job' ?

6) During the recruitment process are girls mixed in with boys ?
    Like in the activities and fitness assessments etc...
    At the minute i am only 16 and im not to sure on my career path but i am considering a career in the army. I might go to University though ....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by anonomon)
    Because at times i can be but sometimes i can go pretty quiet and like not know what to say....

2) Is a career in the army for people who dont get the highest grades in exams ?
    Just wondered as in my research i realised that the academic entry requirements for most roles i looked at are not very high .... like Cs and Ds at GCSE.

- I know you have to be extremely physically fit but do they like accept you into training and not put you through till your fit enough or would you just get turned away at the first hurdle?

5) Throughout the interview process is there a set number of places and so your 'competing for the job' ?

At the minute i am only 16 and im not to sure on my career path but i am considering a career in the army. I might go to University though ....
    just remember, the army recruiters are always lying
    • Community Assistant
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    No you don't, but some units/roles are more robust than others. You have to be confident, but you don;t have to be loud, it's not all shouting and bellowing at people.

the Armed Forces value aptitudes and more physical abilities as well as intelligence. If you are bright you will do better, but its a mix of common sense, street smarts and book learning

You can do the maths - but well under 1%

Read the recruitment website, you need to be able to pass the fitness tests set during the application process. You wil get fitter during basic training though

Yes, there are fixed intakes for all roles

Yes

You should also consider the RAF and RN

ReputationRep:
    [QUOTE=threeportdrift;74223012]
    the Armed Forces value aptitudes and more physical abilities as well as intelligence. If you are bright you will do better, but its a mix of common sense, street smarts and book learning

Yes, there are fixed intakes for all roles
    /QUOTE]

What would you say you need to show in the recruitment process to get picked ???
    I've recently heard that for every 1 soldier that gets in, 12 get turned away.... so it doesnt look very positive.

ReputationRep:
    What would you say you need to show in the recruitment process to get picked ???
    I've recently heard that for every 1 soldier that gets in, 12 get turned away.... so it doesnt look very positive.
    Depends entirely on the role you're going for.

And yes, ofc they don't just take anyone who applies - no job does. If you're thinking about going for it because it's an easy way in to a job and a wage, think again.

No matter what job you apply for you'll have competition.

But if you're a strong candidate, and are willing to prove it, that shouldn't matter.

The Army (and none of the armed forces) isn't looking for the finished article, it wants someone who has potential and can be trained. So, think about the role you want and think about how you could show you have potential for it. Think about what experience you have that could lend itself to working with teams, or in rough environments...

ReputationRep:

24 and been in just over 2 years in RE so here's my 2 cents

1. I'm far from the loudest most confident person but I still managed it.

2. Just do well in your GCSE's the you won't have too many problems on that front. If you go in do something that gives you good quals in return or a trade try go.for that.

3. Very small, there's not much going on at the minute

4. Not really, just show you have something between the ears on selection and interviews, do your research in chosen roles and you'll be fine. Fall in love with the gym and running on hills as well.

5. In a nutshell, yes

6. Also yes

Be warned however....you will be messed around with beyond belief. One time i very nearly had to cancel leave to a big family wedding abroad which would have left me in excess of £2k out of pocket for example. You will also be doing pointless BS sub as going into the rooms of people who are halfway round the world and painting them because some high up wants his MBE and moving stuff around only to move it back to where it was as some higher up kicked off. You will also have to deal with backwards logic such as not being able to store things in a storeroom or get *******ed for having food and drink in your own personal fridge in your room. (this is at regiment btw and not training)

I'm not trying to put you off but beware of what you let yourself in for when you join, I personally wouldn't recommend it to anyone other than to make some great mates and get some quals behind you.

If you want an idea of how you can be messed around, go on Facebook and look at a page called Fill Your Boots

ReputationRep:
    Hi!!1. No not necessarily just able to take orders2. No not at all!! Its a great career for all people (I got 3A*s, 8As and 2Bs) and i am doing A-Levels now to go into Uni and back in after Uni3. Minimal due to the high level training of medics (like me)4. You need to have the right weight at interview and then at selection you need to be fit enough. Check online for the exact requirements for your role!5. No not at all- theres a recruitment drive atm and there is never a chance you'll get turned down due to

ReputationRep:
    That is only a recruitment drive as they can't retain anyone beyond their 4 year point 😂😂

ReputationRep:
    1) no
    2)no
    3)very few but if you’re worried about dying, don’t join the army...
    4)for some roles, such as being a marine, yes but others aren’t quite as tough
    5 for some roles yes, such as pilot or officer, but not for just joining at the bottom
    6) yes but dorms are separate
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ellieg333)
    1) no
    2)no
    3)very few but if you’re worried about dying, don’t join the army...
    4)for some roles, such as being a marine, yes but others aren’t quite as tough
    5 for some roles yes, such as pilot or officer, but not for just joining at the bottom
    6) yes but dorms are separate
    The marines are a part of the navy, not the army.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by moonkatt)
    The marines are a part of the navy, not the army.
    I know but the op, if they have to ask these questions, won’t care and they do a similar job overall
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to the armed forcesGuide to the Royal Air ForceA job in the Army

Featured recruiter profiles:

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Quick Link:

Unanswered Armed Forces Threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.