The Student Room Group

My teachers are gonna fail me

Now this happened a few days ago..
I’m in Year 10, which is one of the most important years in your school life, and my geography teacher is going to fail me basically..
So last lesson people weren’t behaving good, which is usual.. it’s always loud and crazy in the class, which I’m used to, so that doesn’t really distract me.. But what I’m trying to say is that the teacher won’t do anything till it’s quite so she can teach.. Excuse for my language, but *****, do you think they’re here to learn?! They just want to mess about and fun.. I just want to get on with the work and just ignore those annoying ones, but she makes my day a living hell.. they tell us to ignore the ones who wanna fail but how can I do it when the teacher refuses to teach until it’s quite.. Another worse thing happened that day too, where a girl told the teacher “Stop shouting in my face to be quiet and don’t tell me what to do, because I don’t like this lesson and I don’t give a f** of what you think”
I mean this is inappropriate things to say to a teacher and a good teacher would tell the student to leave the class, give them a detention, call or email to their parents or do worse things.. but what does this living hell creature do?? She tells her to get on with her work and try to be quiet..

I don’t even know what to say.. I tried going to the HOY and tell him that this isn’t working and all that, but you’re apparently not allowed to accuse a teacher for not doing her work nor talk bad about them because they have an ofsted teaching degree or whatever..

It’s not that I’m bad at it, I usually get about 80% - 95% in my exams which is really good, but I don’t want the lesson to get interrupted every 15 min... and I also feel bad for the students who aren’t so good at geography and want to improve their grades, but can’t because how the class is..
Your teachers don't mark your exams, and year 10 is not important at all.
Your teacher can't fail you. Year 10 has no meaning whatsoever. Just continue to make complaints. My school got a teacher fired because all her classes repeatedly complained until they couldn't ignore it.
Year 10 isn't important. Don't rely on your teachers. The people who aren't good at Geography should be more than capable of finding the specification online and helping themselves.
Reply 4
Original post by Nebuchadnezzaṛ

Year 10 is basically a revision before your GCSE which is really important and I’m not really concerned about teachers marking my exams, I’m concerned about the class, learning environment and the students
Original post by Nebuchadnezzaṛ

Nope, but they teach you the things for the exams (well, they're meant to).

Original post by boystudy
I’m in Year 10, which is one of the most important years in your school life, and my geography teacher is going to fail me basically..
So last lesson people weren’t behaving good, which is usual.. it’s always loud and crazy in the class, which I’m used to, so that doesn’t really distract me.. But what I’m trying to say is that the teacher won’t do anything till it’s quite so she can teach.. Excuse for my language, but *****, do you think they’re here to learn?! They just want to mess about and fun.. I just want to get on with the work and just ignore those annoying ones, but she makes my day a living hell.. they tell us to ignore the ones who wanna fail but how can I do it when the teacher refuses to teach until it’s quite.. Another worse thing happened that day too, where a girl told the teacher “Stop shouting in my face to be quiet and don’t tell me what to do, because I don’t like this lesson and I don’t give a f** of what you think”
I mean this is inappropriate things to say to a teacher and a good teacher would tell the student to leave the class, give them a detention, call or email to their parents or do worse things.. but what does this living hell creature do?? She tells her to get on with her work and try to be quiet..

I don’t even know what to say.. I tried going to the HOY and tell him that this isn’t working and all that, but you’re apparently not allowed to accuse a teacher for not doing her work nor talk bad about them because they have an ofsted teaching degree or whatever..

It’s not that I’m bad at it, I usually get about 80% - 95% in my exams which is really good, but I don’t want the lesson to get interrupted every 15 min... and I also feel bad for the students who aren’t so good at geography and want to improve their grades, but can’t because how the class is..

I know how annoying it is to have a loud class who doesn't want to do the work, that is my class in most of my lessons -.-

What do you mean your teachers are going to fail you? Do you think they mark the final exams?

Never heard of an 'Ofsted teaching degree' - You can complain about a teacher even if they do have a degree. Whoever said you can't is ill-informed.
ask your mum to complain too and request to move groups
Reply 8
Quit your moaning. Another geography set could be even worse and less teaching could go on.

The most important thing in your mind should be to do well in spite of your teacher. S/he isn't and shouldn't be your sole source of information. It is possible to teach yourself the information needed to take a GCSE.

Don't try to blame someone else for your possible future failure. The only person you can blame is yourself.
Original post by Pigster
Quit your moaning. Another geography set could be even worse and less teaching could go on.

The most important thing in your mind should be to do well in spite of your teacher. S/he isn't and shouldn't be your sole source of information. It is possible to teach yourself the information needed to take a GCSE.

Don't try to blame someone else for your possible future failure. The only person you can blame is yourself.

I strongly disagree with this comment. Some of the things taught at GCSE geography are brand new to a pupil and need to be explained in a basic way that sometimes the internet fails to do. You have to have at least some background knowledge of each topic before you can go off and teach yourself which this teacher needs to provide in order for the individual to pass. I was in a similar predicament with a noisy class but the teacher persisted with those of us who wanted to learn and the majority of us passed with C’s and above.
Reply 10
Original post by Pigster

I also disagree with your statement, because you’re saying that people should teach themselves for gcse, but actually not everyone can do that and that’s why there are teachers.. Yes you can look up things you’re not sure about, but there is always one part and especially in maths where you don’t understand a thing about the topic and you need a teacher to help you step by step to understand..
But if your statement was to be correct, what’s the point of going to school if you can teach yourself everything..?

When you look up something on google, there’s always a big paragraph of this and that, but if you have a teacher, they’ll give you the answer in one sentence.
The only reason you can blame yourself for failure is if you haven’t tried enough or not even bothered. But if you’ve tried your best, but still fail, the only person you should look into is how and the how is the teacher
Reply 11
Original post by doodle_333
ask your mum to complain too and request to move groups

Everyone’s lesson has been strutted after you’ve chosen your gcse options, so by moving geography class, it will result with me dropping another subject to put geography in that position, and with an empty subject on the timetable means I’m required to chose another subject which would be like Wood Tec or Music which I’m not into and will probably not help me in my desired career in future
Tell your mum or dad to complain
if they dont listen tell them to come in shouting
if they still dont listen threaten them by reporting the school to Ofted or somethin....
They will eventually break in
I also disagree with your statement, because you’re saying that people should teach themselves for gcse, but actually not everyone can do that and that’s why there are teachers.. Yes you can look up things you’re not sure about, but there is always one part and especially in maths where you don’t understand a thing about the topic and you need a teacher to help you step by step to understand..
But if your statement was to be correct, what’s the point of going to school if you can teach yourself everything..?

When you look up something on google, there’s always a big paragraph of this and that, but if you have a teacher, they’ll give you the answer in one sentence.
The only reason you can blame yourself for failure is if you haven’t tried enough or not even bothered. But if you’ve tried your best, but still fail, the only person you should look into is how and the how is the teacher

Ignore the comments about Year 10 not being important - none of these posters have done the new specification.

I would continue to try to work and maybe see the Head of deprament again. Get your parents to write in - it's probable that this teacher needs support and you will be helping her as well.

Btw, I'm a teacher so have had to deal with such teachers in my school. At some point she will be observed and your groups books looked it to check on the learning going on.

It's still early days - have you got a textbook to refer to at all?
I'm doing my A levels so I can tell you that year 10 has very little significance, you have the entirety of year 11 to go over what was learnt in year 10. If you think that it will have such a detrimental affect on your education that her teaching will cause you to fail, then you could easily study a little every day to make sure that you understand what is on the specification, since what you learn in year 10 (at least when I did my GCSEs a year ago) is nearly the same as what you do in year 11. Considering how small GCSE courses are, you shouldn't have a problem revising 1 GCSE subject.
Have you thought of perhaps getting a Tutor? If the GCSE is structured in the way you do meaningful exams in year 10 and in year 11 then this year is important to get a solid foundation for next year, I am sorry to say but your school sounds like a horrible learning environment, focus on your GCSE's and your revision and any concepts you cannot quite get just jump on tsr or an online resource and you should be able to get an answer. Sadly the schooling system in the UK is broken, sure some determined people will do well but the school you go to at 11 will likely ultimately shape the course of your life, But if you can persevere and work hard to you can get to a good sixth form and really know your A Levels out of the park.
Of course year 10 matters, it's basically half the course
Year 10 means **** all
Reply 18
Original post by M4cc4n4
Have you thought of perhaps getting a Tutor? If the GCSE is structured in the way you do meaningful exams in year 10 and in year 11 then this year is important to get a solid foundation for next year, I am sorry to say but your school sounds like a horrible learning environment, focus on your GCSE's and your revision and any concepts you cannot quite get just jump on tsr or an online resource and you should be able to get an answer. Sadly the schooling system in the UK is broken, sure some determined people will do well but the school you go to at 11 will likely ultimately shape the course of your life, But if you can persevere and work hard to you can get to a good sixth form and really know your A Levels out of the park.

I would want a tutor, but it would be expensive, because I already have one for Maths & Science
Reply 19
Original post by Muttley79
Ignore the comments about Year 10 not being important - none of these posters have done the new specification.

I would continue to try to work and maybe see the Head of deprament again. Get your parents to write in - it's probable that this teacher needs support and you will be helping her as well.

Btw, I'm a teacher so have had to deal with such teachers in my school. At some point she will be observed and your groups books looked it to check on the learning going on.

It's still early days - have you got a textbook to refer to at all?

Well the SLT will have a check through everyone’s book in all subjects throughout the half term, so they’ll probably see that my class is behind in comparison with the other Geography class and will take action.

Because whilst my GCSE options was messed up with subjects I didn’t choose, I had to wait a week to get it all sorted.. so whilst I was waiting, I was in a Geography class with an amazing teacher who could made us learn whilst having fun and we covered 1/4 of a whole unit in just 2 lesson!
But when my options were fixed, I had to move to another class and it ended up with us covering all those lessons in 2 weeks..

Quick Reply

Latest