Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I was wondering how I can study and remember everything in A level Biology (OCR). What techniques or methods are good?

ReputationRep:
    So I was on AQA last year but same thing really. So I wrote out all my notes, made flash cards for every long answer question in the last ten years and memorised them over the course of a couple months- this alone helped me to learn all the content. With A-Levels especially biology it’s not even about your knowledge, it’s about being able to write the keywords they so strongly desire. I did an odd mind map or poster on the stuff I found more difficult and came out with an A*. Honestly though the flash cards are a lifesaver- often under appreciated, get your parent/guardian to test you also and you’ll have it down in no time! 😊
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Stargaryen2704)
    So I was on AQA last year but same thing really. So I wrote out all my notes, made flash cards for every long answer question in the last ten years and memorised them over the course of a couple months- this alone helped me to learn all the content. With A-Levels especially biology it’s not even about your knowledge, it’s about being able to write the keywords they so strongly desire. I did an odd mind map or poster on the stuff I found more difficult and came out with an A*. Honestly though the flash cards are a lifesaver- often under appreciated, get your parent/guardian to test you also and you’ll have it down in no time! 😊
    What would I write on the flash cards? Could you give me an example plz.

ReputationRep:
    Anyone do IAL edexcel biology

ReputationRep:
    textbook and past papers.

ReputationRep:
    Were you on the new spec when using past papers? I'm on the new spec and i just find past papers annoying since it's all based on the old spec..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dfg4)
    Were you on the new spec when using past papers? I'm on the new spec and i just find past papers annoying since it's all based on the old spec..
    Yeah I was on new spec so had even less past papers than you! For AS do your biol1,2,3 papers (old spec) the paper 3’s and 6’s are really good because they assess practical, for A2 do all the biol4 and 5 past papers, if you do them all 2/3 times before the exam you’ll ace it!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by asohibn)
    What would I write on the flash cards? Could you give me an example plz.
    So on one side I’d maybe write “Describe And explain Phagocytosis (5)”

Then on the other side I’d just bullet point the mark scheme;
    •Phagocyte recognises pathogen due to foreign antigens and chemical signals
    •phagocyte engulfs pathogen
    •forming phagocytic vacuole
    •lysosomes containing digestive enzymes lysozyme fuse with the phagocytic vacuoles
    •lysozymes hydrolyse pathogen
    •phagocyte displays pathogen antigens on cell surface to act as antigen presenting cell and trigger an immune response

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I was on new spec so had even less past papers than you! For AS do your biol1,2,3 papers (old spec) the paper 3’s and 6’s are really good because they assess practical, for A2 do all the biol4 and 5 past papers, if you do them all 2/3 times before the exam you’ll ace it!
    No lol I'm retaking my A levels as a private candidate since i didnt do well.. I didn't use any past papers though
    Wait to you used all the old past papers for bio?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dfg4)
    No lol I'm retaking my A levels as a private candidate since i didnt do well.. I didn't use any past papers though
    Wait to you used all the old past papers for bio?
    Mate past papers are the best way to revise, after you know the content past papers should be the ONLY thing you’re doing, over and over again until you learn the markscheme style and how they want you to answer the questions

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by asohibn)
    I was wondering how I can study and remember everything in A level Biology (OCR). What techniques or methods are good?
    Got an A in OCR biology new spec last year. In summary, you need to know the content flawlessly. I remember a point where I could recite all of respiration in 5 minute and had enough detail of the book. Of course the other half is application, which can be practiced through past papers

ReputationRep:
    Mate past papers are the best way to revise, after you know the content past papers should be the ONLY thing you’re doing, over and over again until you learn the markscheme style and how they want you to answer the questions
    did you do the new spec AQA?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mda2)
    did you do the new spec AQA?
    Yup

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.