Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Question on kinetic energy down an inclined slope Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hello everyone!
    I have been trying to solve this problem for quite some time but with little success. I cannot even seem to find the correct answer and my Mid-Terms are coming up. I figured you guys can help me out with this:

http://physics.dalzielhigh.org.uk/Ph...20question.pdf

Basically, I am unable to solve part c) but the rest is pretty simple. I would really appreciate a solution and explanation to this question.

ReputationRep:
    So u have the acceleration, the initial velocity and the displacement. U can use a suvat equation to find the final speed, then u can sub this into ur kinetic energy formula

Hope i helped bro👊🏾
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Shaanv)
    So u have the acceleration, the initial velocity and the displacement. U can use a suvat equation to find the final speed, then u can sub this into ur kinetic energy formula

Hope i helped bro👊🏾
    Ah! I see, that makes perfect sense. Can't believe I ignored those formulas. Really appreciate the quick help, mate. And you definitely helped

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by UsedCarSalesman)
    Ah! I see, that makes perfect sense. Can't believe I ignored those formulas. Really appreciate the quick help, mate. And you definitely helped
    Glad to hear it good luck in ur mid terms

ReputationRep:
    the KE at A is increased by the loss of GPE at B, but it is also decreased by the work against the frictional force.

KE at A = .5x2600x52 J

GPE loss = 2600x 9.8x 75xsin12

work done = 75 x 1400

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Shaanv)
    Glad to hear it good luck in ur mid terms
    Thanks man! My first exam and hopefully it goes well. Quick question, a = 1.5 m/s^2 right? Because I feel like the acceleration changes so it won't be that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by UsedCarSalesman)
    Thanks man! My first exam and hopefully it goes well. Quick question, a = 1.5 m/s^2 right? Because I feel like the acceleration changes so it won't be that.
    The acceleration will be the value u have calculated as the forces remain constant, i havent done the math but ur answer to part b will be the constant acceleration of the van.

The bear working out also works, but if u have never encountered conservation of energy in that form before, then this method is not for u

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by the bear)
    the KE at A is increased by the loss of GPE at B, but it is also decreased by the work against the frictional force.

KE at A = .5x2600x5 J

GPE loss = 2600x 9.8x 75xsin12

work done = 75 x 1400
    While I understand what you are stating, I am unable to follow up on getting the final answer. Apologies for I am unfamiliar with their relation to work done. What do you suggest is the final answer?
    Anyways, I really appreciate the help!
    The other method seemed easier but I feel like I should use two to confirm my answer.

ReputationRep:
    i get 325225 J

ReputationRep:
    The working out for the bear method

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.