Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

My flatmates act like strangers to me Watch

So I started uni this year and was (unrealistically) expecting to become best mates with my flatmates, alas, that was not the case. I'm a girl and I'm sharing with 4 other girls so I thought that we would have something in common but right from moving in, they've made no effort to talk to me whatsoever and have become a super tight clique so i'm like the 5th wheel or something. I've tried talking to them as I'm not even shy, and basically tried to make conversation but they reply very short and then leave the room. 2 of the girls basically ignore me and the other 2 are quite nice but one of the nice girls, I rarely ever see. However the nice girls are friends with the not-so-nice girls and they all hang out in the kitchen together. They're also really loud and partying which i'm definitely not...
    I'm generally a relaxed and friendly person (although more introverted) but living here makes me feel really anxious all the time because i feel so awkward passing them and saying hi and then they don't even reply... it's putting me off even entering the kitchen because I can hear them all screaming and laughing in there...
    I feel even worse because I don't know anyone else in my whole accommodation (off campus) and all my friends are living elsewhere and seem to be having a grand old time

ReputationRep:
    Is there any chance of getting moved to a different hall?

(Original post by Avaia)
    Is there any chance of getting moved to a different hall?
    I thought about it initially but I'm not sure if there are spaces left... there's also the fact that I'm not sure if the effort of moving is worth it because I could end up with bad flatmates all over again (the accomodation I'm in seems to not have nice people) Most people have told me to just grit my teeth and wait til next year ...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I thought about it initially but I'm not sure if there are spaces left... there's also the fact that I'm not sure if the effort of moving is worth it because I could end up with bad flatmates all over again (the accomodation I'm in seems to not have nice people) Most people have told me to just grit my teeth and wait til next year ...
    Hmm, I would speak to the accommodation department and just ask. You don't want your first year to be miserable cause of these girls. You could also pull one of the nice ones to the side and be genuine with her, ask her if they don't like you and if they have a problem with you? it may be a misunderstanding

ReputationRep:
    Sounds tough, I know when I first moved into halls, my flat mates all planned a trip to amsterdam over christmas and never invited me haha. I could see them commenting on each other's facebook status of where they were going to go and stuff was pretty upsetting.

We all promised to stay in touch in our second year, but they would all ignore my texts to have lunch or watch a film lol.

ReputationRep:
    I wish I could be your flatmate, I'm sure we'd get on like the flat was on fire. :moon:

(Original post by iPhone X)
    I wish I could be your flatmate, I'm sure we'd get on like the flat was on fire. :moon:
    are your flatmates also like this?

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 23, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.