Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Grab Your Safety Gear - I'm Going To Do Some Science! Watch

ReputationRep:
    *On GCSE Results Day*
    A.J.Rimmer: (Watches GCSEs disappear into the distance) Oh thank god- finally, I can relax. I'm going to watch every TV show on Netflix. I'm going to read all the science fiction. I'm going to-
    *A huge shadowy mass leans over A.J.Rimmer*
    A Levels: Why hello there, mortal. Aren't you forgetting someone?

...Oh No.

A.J.Rimmer's Year 12 GYG Study Blog

Hey! I'm A.J.Rimmer, and I'll be your host this academic year. Hopefully I'll be a little more diligent with this blog than I was with my previous attempt (oops)- I'll try to give weekly updates on my studies, as well as anything else that it seems like a good idea at the time to post online(!).

OBLIGATORY ACADEMIC STUFF:

A Level Choices (Target Grades to Follow):
    Chemistry (OCR)
    Maths (Edexcel)
    Further Maths (Edexcel)
    Physics (AQA)

GCSE Results:
    Maths- 9
    English Language- 9
    English Literature- 6 :unimpressed:
    Biology- A*
    Chemistry- A*
    Physics- A*
    French- A*
    Geography- A*
    Music- A*
    R.S.- A*

As you can see from my A Level choices, I love my sciences (I would have done Biology too if I could), and when it comes to theory, everything's fine. However, practicals are a whole different ball game... I'm hopelessly inept when it comes to doing experiments (and that's being generous!). Stand near me during a Chemistry PAG at your own risk...

At present, I like everything I study too much to choose a specific degree course to aim for, so my goals for this year are:
    - Work to ensure I get predicted A/A* grades for A2.
    - Attend as many university open days as I can, and try to figure out what I want to spend the rest of my life doing.
    -Try not to accidentally destroy the school chemistry labs.

So, here I go... stoke me a clipper- I'll be back for Christmas!

ReputationRep:

All I've really done over the last few days is Physics- my teachers have been trialing this 'flipped learning' technique and it's not really going all that well for me. I like to fully understand concepts before I make notes on it (so that my notes are in a sensible order and not just a direct copy from the textbook), but this means that when I'm doing it myself at home, it takes hours to complete one topic. Add this to the homework I have from my other subjects, and extracurriculars, and I just don't have the time. By the last two weeks of term, I'd just given up on actually making notes- I understand the ideas, but I've now got nothing to revise from. So, during the holiday, I've been making proper notes on all of Chapter 2 (Particles and Radiation):
    Spoiler:
    Show

Name:  image1 (4).jpg
Views: 13
Size:  503.2 KB
    (It's a study blog- I've got to have fineliners in here somewhere)

I've also been doing some EPQ work this week- it's pretty tough going (my sources aren't the most exciting things to read ever, and there's maths in there that I've never even heard of) but I'm persevering.

I didn't do any work yesterday though- my friend came over, and we made cookies, so although I've got a load of stuff to do today, I have a nice incentive.

14:00
    I've got some Maths work to finish off, so I'm going to try and finish that by this evening.
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Hiya:hi:

:afraid: Science.

Love this thread though.:love:

(Original post by A.J.Rimmer)

All I've really done over the last few days is Physics- my teachers have been trialing this 'flipped learning' technique and it's not really going all that well for me. I like to fully understand concepts before I make notes on it (so that my notes are in a sensible order and not just a direct copy from the textbook), but this means that when I'm doing it myself at home, it takes hours to complete one topic. Add this to the homework I have from my other subjects, and extra-curriculars, and I just don't have the time. By the last two weeks of term, I'd just given up on actually making notes- I understand the ideas, but I've now got nothing to revise from. So, during the holiday, I've been making proper notes on all of Chapter 2 (Particles and Radiation):
    Spoiler:
    Show

Name:  image1 (4).jpg
Views: 13
Size:  503.2 KB
    (It's a study blog- I've got to have fineliners in here somewhere)

I've also been doing some EPQ work this week- it's pretty tough going (my sources aren't the most exciting things to read ever, and there's maths in there that I've never even heard of) but I'm persevering.

I didn't do any work yesterday though- my friend came over, and we made cookies, so although I've got a load of stuff to do today, I have a nice incentive.

14:00
    I've got some Maths work to finish off, so I'm going to try and finish that by this evening.
    What's your EPQ on?:holmes:

ReputationRep:

Welp- so much for frequent updates! I'm still getting the hang of life at my new(ish) school, and I sort of forgot...

Anyway. It's probably easier to update by subject, so here goes:

MATHS:
    This week we finished off Year 1 Stats (yay!) and that means... a test! (boo). Pure is also coming along nicely- it's really great to be doing new content, and I've also found that tests are so much better- unlike GCSE, they seem to be less direct about exactly what you're meant to do to find the answer, which is waaaay more interesting than "Find the volume of this cylinder". Also, I found out this week that I qualified for BMO 1 so I'm going to be doing some practice this week... that said, what kind of exam lasts for 3.5 hours?!:eek: At least it's on a Friday, so I can go home and take a nap afterwards...

PHYSICS:
    I can't say I'm loving this subject at the moment- it just hasn't really been at all challenging, so I'm sort of bored. Maybe it's just the current topic, but all the practice questions are so similar, and you can get half the answers directly from the datasheet. I had a test today, and I think it went pretty well (famous last words)- I guess I'll know my fate next week.

CHEMISTRY (yasssss):
    I seriously love this at the moment- it's so interesting! If I could replace my Physics classes with more Chemistry I totally would. It's kind of weird really- originally, it wasn't even one of my A Level choices, but now I'm seriously considering it for uni. Well, superficial is my middle name...
    I've also got the Chemistry Olympiad coming up- I've tried a few practice questions, and everything seems fine until I get to the organic synthesis parts. They're evil- the kind of thing I see, and my brain just goes "How about... NOPE". I'm hoping that a large chunk of the marks this year will just be on nice stuff like oxidation numbers.

Oh, and I meant to reply earlier- my EPQ is on chemical modelling, and as my EPQ lesson is on the one day that I don't have a Chemistry lesson, I'm pretty much spending every day doing Chemistry in some shape or form. Not that I'm complaining.

So now that's over and done with, I'm going to go ahead and list my plans for this weekend:
    - Revise all of the Statistics covered so far for my upcoming test
    - Make flashcards for Organic Chemistry
    - Organise my paperwork (I seem to have several trees worth of notes and worksheets in my bag- it's probably best to get rid of some of them before I develop a back injury)
    - Prepare for Maths and Chemistry Olympiads
    - Finish any outstanding homework

But first, I should probably go to sleep. I'll update again soon.

ReputationRep:
    The chemistry olympiad is for year 13s anyway, you should focus on the lower sixth cambridge challenge near the end of the year. Also yeah I felt pretty much the same as you at the start of year 12, finding physics boring and annoying. That said it does get more interesting and once you've got the simple stuff out of the way, you can build upon it into more interesting things. Also I've been doing lots of problem solving outside of school for physics and I just did the 2 hour 40 minutes round 1 physics olympiad today and I think it went pretty decently actually . I've also applied to physics at uni although I really hope I get into cambridge natsci so I can keep studying chemistry for a year .

ReputationRep:
    Also yeah great job on getting to BMO1. I would have done the SMC but my maths teachers tell us nothing about that sort of thing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by black1blade)
    The chemistry olympiad is for year 13s anyway, you should focus on the lower sixth cambridge challenge near the end of the year. Also yeah I felt pretty much the same as you at the start of year 12, finding physics boring and annoying. That said it does get more interesting and once you've got the simple stuff out of the way, you can build upon it into more interesting things. Also I've been doing lots of problem solving outside of school for physics and I just did the 2 hour 40 minutes round 1 physics olympiad today and I think it went pretty decently actually . I've also applied to physics at uni although I really hope I get into cambridge natsci so I can keep studying chemistry for a year .

Thanks for that advice on Physics- I'll keep holding on for that cool stuff Also, we've been told to treat the Chemistry Olympiad as a dry run for the Lower Sixth challenge, so I don't really mind too much what I actually get (just participation, probably!).

Good luck with your uni applications- I hope you get in Natsci seems like a really interesting course- are you interested in Biology too?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by A.J.Rimmer)
    Thanks for that advice on Physics- I'll keep holding on for that cool stuff Also, we've been told to treat the Chemistry Olympiad as a dry run for the Lower Sixth challenge, so I don't really mind too much what I actually get (just participation, probably!).

Good luck with your uni applications- I hope you get in Natsci seems like a really interesting course- are you interested in Biology too?
    Lol no, I hate the biochemistry in chemistry a-level. The options I am planning on taking if I get in are physics, chemistry and materials science .

ReputationRep:
    Hi Hi, I do your exact A Levels and I'm in Y12 too woo!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AryanGh)
    Hi Hi, I do your exact A Levels and I'm in Y12 too woo!
    The optimum set of subjects .

ReputationRep:
    As well as the ultimate academic cockblock lmao

ReputationRep:
    One time, the librarian at my old school asked me what A Levels I was going to do- I told her I was "going for the 'Classic Nerd' set- Maths, FM, Chemistry and Physics". She looked slightly offended, and replied "My son does those A Levels" ...oops:facepalm:

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.