Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hello everyone,

I am planning to go to university starting September 2018. I am an EU citizen who came in UK in July 2015. If I get accepted by any of my chosen universities, I will start my course in September 2018, and I will have been living in UK for 3 years. My main worry about studying at university is obviously: finance! I was happy earlier because I knew If I will have been living in UK for 3 years when my course starts, I will be eligible for maintenance loan. This dream has been broken because they changed this to 5 years. I am not worried about tuition fees as I know I can get that. My main worry is the maintenance loan, without that money my dream of going to university would not be possible.

My question is: is there still any ways of applying for the maintenance loan? If yes, what are these ways and how to apply.
    I asked student finance and I was told that I can apply as a "migrant worker" or "child of a migrant worker". My father is working in UK since 2004.

ReputationRep:
    I would strongly advise looking at Scottish universities as an option and apply as an EU student as tuition is free and there is often extra funding available. Scottish authorities offer some funding through the devolved pensions department however, individual universities may also offer specific bursaries. I was born in the UK but have dual nationality in an EU country so hope that helps 😊
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Stargaryen2704)
    I would strongly advise looking at Scottish universities as an option and apply as an EU student as tuition is free and there is often extra funding available. Scottish authorities offer some funding through the devolved pensions department however, individual universities may also offer specific bursaries. I was born in the UK but have dual nationality in an EU country so hope that helps 😊
    Thanks for your answer. I don`t plan to go that far up-north.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources
    Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.