Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I am 6 weeks into my a level course. I originally started with economics, geography, history, and philosophy but after some rethinking, i changed my philosophy to politics and history to a new period (ocr-late modern, so Weimar Germany, Pitt to peel and civil rights). So i now have been doing history, economics, politics, and geography. I am unsure what to drop, as i am definitely only capable of doing three. to give you an insight, i am probably keeping geography as i got 99% at GCSE and i find it enjoyable and it will be useful later in life. However i find aqa economics quite hard and dont know if it will get worse or better. history i am quite good at with 92% at GCSE but i spend at least 10 hours a week on essays in the subject (all other three subjects combined) and i have heard it is a very demanding a level and i dont want to do it if i cannot keep up as i have alot of other co-curricular commitments. Politics is going well i think so far, but apparently it gets very hard in A2. i want to do business/marketing and management at university so my intial thought was to keep economics, as it would be very useful even if i dont get as good a grade, politics and geography and drop history. the entry requirements for Durham, Bath, Exeter are all AAB so i can afford a B in economics i guess. what are your thoughts? thanks.

ReputationRep:
    Those four in combination aren't that hard... I'm doing Maths, FM, Chemistry Physics and (Electronics Self-Taught), as well as 2 language GCSE's in Polish and Italian and the compulsory Pre-U Global Perspectives. I might even do biology self-taught in Year 13 (next year) if i have a change of career plan. I'm also currently preparing for a school play, a drama exam, two music exams, and I'm doing 2 stem activities and 2 music clubs during school hours. Oh and I'm applying for work experience in a hospital and in 2-3 engineering facilities, as well as entering a couple competitions.

Are you sure you're struggling, or is it that you've gone behind in one of them / don't like the teacher? Yea, everything's harder at A2. But not doing 4 A-Levels is a copout. Your teachers are probably fear mongering about difficulty to weed out the weak students who feel like they'll do badly. I don't think you're one of them.

Take this advice from someone who will literally have no social life for the next 2 years.

ReputationRep:
    Ha drop Economics asap. I'm doing aqa and it's not easy because if you don't get one concept you don't get anything else because everything builds on each other. And trust me getting even a B grade ain't easy. Macro is interesting but micro is so boring it could kill you.

But it's your choice but I'd dip out of economics if you don't need it which you probably don't

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.