Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I have lived in the UK since July 2015. I have EU citizenship. At that time my father was in a non-EU country (he is a UK citizen) waiting out the rabies wait period for our pets and my mother (EU citizen) was in France on a work contract for 6 months. I was living with my aunt and not in school. I started A levels in August 2016 and I am applying for university for September 2018. Both my parents joined me in January 2016 and they have both been employed since. I am working 18 hours a week and will continue this work through university. Would I be eligible to apply for tuition and maintenance loans as either a migrant worker in my own right or as the child of a migrant worker? I will be 19 at the time of starting university. Looking at the guidelines it says you need to have arrived at the same time as your parent/s, which Í presume is to show that you weren't just here to go to school but in our case circumstances beyond our control delayed my parents hence being put into my aunt's guardianship. My parents were resident in the UK and employed on the first day that I started state school and my EU parent will have been back in the EU for more than 3 years directly prior to my starting university.
    • Official TSR Representative

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by monami123)
    I have lived in the UK since July 2015. I have EU citizenship. At that time my father was in a non-EU country (he is a UK citizen) waiting out the rabies wait period for our pets and my mother (EU citizen) was in France on a work contract for 6 months. I was living with my aunt and not in school. I started A levels in August 2016 and I am applying for university for September 2018. Both my parents joined me in January 2016 and they have both been employed since. I am working 18 hours a week and will continue this work through university. Would I be eligible to apply for tuition and maintenance loans as either a migrant worker in my own right or as the child of a migrant worker? I will be 19 at the time of starting university. Looking at the guidelines it says you need to have arrived at the same time as your parent/s, which Í presume is to show that you weren't just here to go to school but in our case circumstances beyond our control delayed my parents hence being put into my aunt's guardianship. My parents were resident in the UK and employed on the first day that I started state school and my EU parent will have been back in the EU for more than 3 years directly prior to my starting university.
    Hi monami123,

You may be eligible to apply for Maintenance Loan and Tuition Fees as a migrant worker student in your own right or as a child of a migrant worker. If your father is a UK national then you would not be able to apply as a child of a migrant worker under your father, but could apply based on you mother's income. You would have to provide evidence of employment and also show that you or your EU family member are in continuous employment while you are studying.
    It would be your decision on how you apply ,either as a migrant worker in your own right or as a child of a migrant worker, the process would be the same.

Thanks
    Louise

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Louise E SFE)
    Hi monami123,

You may be eligible to apply for Maintenance Loan and Tuition Fees as a migrant worker student in your own right or as a child of a migrant worker. If your father is a UK national then you would not be able to apply as a child of a migrant worker under your father, but could apply based on you mother's income. You would have to provide evidence of employment and also show that you or your EU family member are in continuous employment while you are studying.
    It would be your decision on how you apply ,either as a migrant worker in your own right or as a child of a migrant worker, the process would be the same.

Thanks
    Louise
    Thank you very much Louise. I was concerned that about the criteria in the guidelines of having arrived in the UK at the same time as my parents when,in our case, we all arrived at different times. My EU mother and I do both fulfil the criteria for having been in the EU for 3 years.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.