Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Hi There

I need advice about what todo at the next stage of my degree, I’m really struggling with this year. I believe this has a lot todo with the fact I am the only student in my course at my college and have to remote into lessons to other colleges (almost like open uni but worse) however the other colleges have learnt a set of skills than I have so they are now using their experience in this skill and making very complex products which I am completely behind on. Between the fact there’s no peers available to help, no local support and now after being completely honest about the situation to remote lecturer they seem uninterested and in all honestly, there’s very little they can do because they can only help with small glitches over email, like small errors not massive gaps of knowledge.

What’s most frustrating is that I cannot use my own skills that I’ve learnt during my time at Uni to make a similar product (it’s not allowed so I’m just being thrown in the deep end)

I believe there has been a fundamental failure of facilitating this curriculum to remote students and I believe they can only truly support the other locations which have on site support. So they just leave locations like myself in the dark.

This has left me completely isolated from all types of help and I can’t cope anymore with teaching it myself. I’m really just looking for reassurance that what I’m being put through is unfair and I’m considering moving to a better established university or moving internally to a location with support (both would require a complete overhaul of my life (ie move, give up job etc) or do I just battle on and hope for the best as I’m in my final year and it would be a shame to delay it.

The only good thing is that there is still time for the project (for once I haven’t buried my head in the sand)
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Hi There

I need advice about what todo at the next stage of my degree, I’m really struggling with this year. I believe this has a lot todo with the fact I am the only student in my course at my college and have to remote into lessons to other colleges (almost like open uni but worse) however the other colleges have learnt a set of skills than I have so they are now using their experience in this skill and making very complex products which I am completely behind on. Between the fact there’s no peers available to help, no local support and now after being completely honest about the situation to remote lecturer they seem uninterested and in all honestly, there’s very little they can do because they can only help with small glitches over email, like small errors not massive gaps of knowledge.

What’s most frustrating is that I cannot use my own skills that I’ve learnt during my time at Uni to make a similar product (it’s not allowed so I’m just being thrown in the deep end)

I believe there has been a fundamental failure of facilitating this curriculum to remote students and I believe they can only truly support the other locations which have on site support. So they just leave locations like myself in the dark.

This has left me completely isolated from all types of help and I can’t cope anymore with teaching it myself. I’m really just looking for reassurance that what I’m being put through is unfair and I’m considering moving to a better established university or moving internally to a location with support (both would require a complete overhaul of my life (ie move, give up job etc) or do I just battle on and hope for the best as I’m in my final year and it would be a shame to delay it.

The only good thing is that there is still time for the project (for once I haven’t buried my head in the sand)
    Speak to your course lead/supervisor and see if you can arrange some sessions with the other group/tutor. Just let them know you're struggling and see what help they can offer.

Tried that unfortunately... no other tutor available and no sessions and I’m being discredited now essentially that this “skill” should be picked up quickly even though the lead lecturer said it was concerning and that he didn’t realise there were students that hadn’t learnt this skill before. I’ve given up on it all really now, I’ve been regularly keeping my supervisors in the know but they have placed me in a sink or swim situation and no one can help me with this now and my mental health is paying severely for it...
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 31, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.