Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I love maths, but due to complacent I ended up getting a C at AS( B in C1, A in C2 and D in S1 ). Even though I was 3 ums off a B i plan on retaking all of my AS modules this year. Is there any point in applying to universities such as York, Manchester,Birmingham etc that require an A in maths? My teacher thinks I can get an A but he is only predicting me a B.

Side note: A2 maths is going well so far...
    • Very Important Poster

(Original post by MajorFader)
    I love maths, but due to complacent I ended up getting a C at AS( B in C1, A in C2 and D in S1 ). Even though I was 3 ums off a B i plan on retaking all of my AS modules this year. Is there any point in applying to universities such as York, Manchester,Birmingham etc that require an A in maths? My teacher thinks I can get an A but he is only predicting me a B.

They normally require an A, so of your teacher is predicting a B then you are at a disadvantage.

If it were me, then I would sit the exam and then apply after either though clearing or take a gap based on the fact of an achieved A. Its sometimes an A*
    (unless you have FM) so do check

Also look to see if theres any chance of a degree with foundation year
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:

Aren't you taking Further Maths? If they require an A/A* then it will be hard because you won't even meet their A-Level requirements. Some may also like Further Maths.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Black Water)
    Aren't you taking Further Maths? If they require an A/A* then it will be hard because you won't even meet their A-Level requirements. Some may also like Further Maths.
    No but I am self teaching AS further maths. Plenty of good Unis don’t have further maths as a requirement.
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    No but I am self teaching AS further maths. Plenty of good Unis don’t have further maths as a requirement.
    Fair enough. It'll also depend on where you want to apply to.

ReputationRep:
    Fair enough. It'll also depend on where you want to apply to.
    Yeah exactly. Thanks
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Yeah exactly. Thanks
    No problem. If you don't meet a university's requirements, make sure you contact and ask them if you'll be considered before you apply. You don't want to end up getting a straight rejection.

ReputationRep:
    No problem. If you don't meet a university's requirements, make sure you contact and ask them if you'll be considered before you apply. You don't want to end up getting a straight rejection.
    Yh I feel like I’m if I do that I would get a generic response. Along the lines of “we consider each applicant on an individual basis”
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Yh I feel like I’m if I do that I would get a generic response. Along the lines of “we consider each applicant on an individual basis”
    You'll probably hear that at almost every response. However, you could ask a more direct question like: "If my A-Level target grades don't meet your A-Level requirements yet I still apply, will I face a immediate rejection?". Something along those lines I guess.

ReputationRep:
    You'll probably hear that at almost every response. However, you could ask a more direct question like: "If my A-Level target grades don't meet your A-Level requirements yet I still apply, will I face a immediate rejection?". Something along those lines I guess.
    I see okay.
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    I see okay.
    Yeah, that's what I meant.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.