Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I love maths, but due to complacent I ended up getting a C at AS( B in C1, A in C2 and D in S1 ). Even though I was 3 ums off a B i plan on retaking all of my AS modules this year. Is there any point in applying to universities such as York, Manchester,Birmingham etc that require an A in maths? My teacher thinks I can get an A but he is only predicting me a B.

Side note: A2 maths is going well so far...
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    (Original post by MajorFader)
    I love maths, but due to complacent I ended up getting a C at AS( B in C1, A in C2 and D in S1 ). Even though I was 3 ums off a B i plan on retaking all of my AS modules this year. Is there any point in applying to universities such as York, Manchester,Birmingham etc that require an A in maths? My teacher thinks I can get an A but he is only predicting me a B.

They normally require an A, so of your teacher is predicting a B then you are at a disadvantage.

If it were me, then I would sit the exam and then apply after either though clearing or take a gap based on the fact of an achieved A. Its sometimes an A*
    (unless you have FM) so do check

Also look to see if theres any chance of a degree with foundation year
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Welcome Squad

Aren't you taking Further Maths? If they require an A/A* then it will be hard because you won't even meet their A-Level requirements. Some may also like Further Maths.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Black Water)
    Aren't you taking Further Maths? If they require an A/A* then it will be hard because you won't even meet their A-Level requirements. Some may also like Further Maths.
    No but I am self teaching AS further maths. Plenty of good Unis don’t have further maths as a requirement.
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Welcome Squad
    No but I am self teaching AS further maths. Plenty of good Unis don’t have further maths as a requirement.
    Fair enough. It'll also depend on where you want to apply to.

ReputationRep:
    Fair enough. It'll also depend on where you want to apply to.
    Yeah exactly. Thanks
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Welcome Squad
    Yeah exactly. Thanks
    No problem. If you don't meet a university's requirements, make sure you contact and ask them if you'll be considered before you apply. You don't want to end up getting a straight rejection.

ReputationRep:
    No problem. If you don't meet a university's requirements, make sure you contact and ask them if you'll be considered before you apply. You don't want to end up getting a straight rejection.
    Yh I feel like I’m if I do that I would get a generic response. Along the lines of “we consider each applicant on an individual basis”
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Welcome Squad
    Yh I feel like I’m if I do that I would get a generic response. Along the lines of “we consider each applicant on an individual basis”
    You'll probably hear that at almost every response. However, you could ask a more direct question like: "If my A-Level target grades don't meet your A-Level requirements yet I still apply, will I face a immediate rejection?". Something along those lines I guess.

ReputationRep:
    You'll probably hear that at almost every response. However, you could ask a more direct question like: "If my A-Level target grades don't meet your A-Level requirements yet I still apply, will I face a immediate rejection?". Something along those lines I guess.
    I see okay.
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Welcome Squad
    I see okay.
    Yeah, that's what I meant.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.