Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi all,

I am a US student (come from a well-regarded US school with a degree in economics) looking to further my education with a masters degree that will hone my quantitative skills. I wish to ultimately hold a leadership position at either a government agency/NGO/think-tank.

I'm applying to some US MPP programs, but also wanted to expand to UK schools (and perhaps others in Europe) for a more quantitative-focused degree. There seem to be many LSE programs that could perhaps be a fit--their MPA, MSc in Public Policy and Administration, perhaps even an MSc in Economics. Any ideas of which programs are more well-regarded (I will likely return to the States afterwards), and which would be a better fit for someone who wants to work in policy? I'm also hoping for a program where students are NOT coming straight out of their undergraduate degrees, since I will have had four years of work experience under my belt.

I'm really looking for a practical, not theoretical, degree. I want something that will strengthen my data / analytical skills in a policy-context--not just coursework in theoretical political science and economics.

Any help would be appreciated!

ReputationRep:
    Given your background and your desire for a practical, quant focused degree you might want to look at the MSc in Social Research Methods.

I have really enjoyed doing Social Policy (Research) which is the slightly less quant-heavy version house in Social Policy rather than Methodology. My programme had a mix of fresh undergrads, people at a similar stage to you and some mature career changers (I'd say we went up to our 50+ for or oldest member). Social Policy are an amazing department - I've had fantastic support, a good social life and easy access to some seriously heavy-weight academics. I've not had too much to do with the SRM crowd but they also seem to have a good gang. We get some of our teaching from Methodology and the academics make a bit effort to be approachable and friendly since they know lots of people have methods demons! If you ask then the department is normally able to put you in contact with a current student if you'd like to ask them how it's going.

My course is about 50% methods, 25% dissertation and 25% free choice modules so you can do a bit of theory in your chosen area in your free choice bit. SRM has the same split but if you've got the basic maths you can jump into the more advanced methodology courses like policy evaluation and causal inference that I would have quite liked to have done. I know it doesn't sound as glamorous as Public Policy but compared to other people I've spoken to at LSE my degree is far more practical and I've really enjoyed it.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.