Cutiemutt
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Hi everyone at TSR ^^ I still haven't done my GCSEs yet, but I was wondering what would happen if someone got, for example nine 9's, but got one U in a subject like History or Italian. How would universities look at that, particularly universities like Cambridge and Oxford? Would that be an automatic rejection, supposing that you got A*AA - A*A*A*or at A-level?? Just curious since I haven't seen anyone discussing it...forgive me if im beating a dead horse ^^
Avaia
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
English, Maths and Science are the GCSE's that really matter. if you got 1 u inan unrelated subject but then absolutely smashed all othes and your A-Levels, they wont give it that much thought.
if you got a U in history, and were applying for a history degree, then it would matter more. but as long as your Alevels are all good, they tend not to worry too much about your GCSEs
Xezient
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
They would probably ask you why you did so badly in those subjects you got a U in. They might take it as if you don't care about things that don't interest you, which could put them off.
Bill Nye
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I mean if you got a U in French and wanted to do a French degree then it would be a bit of a problem, but if you did badly in a subject at GCSE, you likely wouldn't take it to A-Level or university.
Tennant'sHair
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
As unlikely as that scenario is, they'd probably remark your exams or check for mistakes or something.
Doones
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Cutiemutt)
Hi everyone at TSR ^^ I still haven't done my GCSEs yet, but I was wondering what would happen if someone got, for example nine 9's, but got one U in a subject like History or Italian. How would universities look at that, particularly universities like Cambridge and Oxford? Would that be an automatic rejection, supposing that you got A*AA - A*A*A*or at A-level?? Just curious since I haven't seen anyone discussing it...forgive me if im beating a dead horse ^^
Wouldn't matter. Unless you wanted to do History or MML in which case even then if wouldn't necessarily be "fatal". Other aspects of your application are more important than one outlier GCSE mark.
Student-95
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
It wouldn't look good, even as an unrelated subject, because you need to completely sack it off to end up with a U which is a pretty bad trait. Shouldn't be an automatic rejection but expect to be questioned about it.
_gcx
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
dare I say if you're realistically looking at a majority of 9s you're probably capable of more than a U, at least a 5/6. In any case it won't matter at all.
AspiringUnderdog
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
They'd be more concerned if you starting a killing school game in their university.
Cutiemutt
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
(Original post by AspiringUnderdog)
They'd be more concerned if you starting a killing school game in their university.
Or kidnap sixteen students and take them to a desert island. They'd probably forget about the U, at least.
twentystraveller
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I understand the GCSEs have changed and especially since I had mine. You should be able to retake the exam entirely if you have gotten a U in it.
_gcx
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Or kidnap sixteen students and take them to a desert island. They'd probably forget about the U, at least.
why do you think you'll get a U? that's the bottom 1%... Or does "U" here just mean a 6 or a 7?
S2M
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
It wouldn't matter too much, but then again it would look odd that you managed to get straight A*s in everything else but then you have a U. It'll just look odd, try your best in that subject.
AspiringUnderdog
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
They'd be too concerned thinking about the despair that the world has fallen into. They won't even be able to think about that U.
ElAshtonio
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
....you wouldn't get "All As"

Name:  download (8).jpg
Views: 115
Size:  4.8 KB
Marcus T
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Your universities don't see the subjects you get Us in because you don't have to put them on UCAS. If you get a U, you don't get a certificate, so it "never happened".
So in some ways, it is better to get a U than a D or an E.
Doones
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Marcus T)
Your universities don't see the subjects you get Us in because you don't have to put them on UCAS. If you get a U, you don't get a certificate, so it "never happened".
So in some ways, it is better to get a U than a D or an E.
Incorrect. U grades have to be declared. They happened.
Marcus T
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Doonesbury)
Incorrect. U grades have to be declared. They happened.
Oh wow, I was told otherwise by my teacher but you're right.

"You must enter all your qualifications from secondary education onwards – whether you have the result (even any that were ungraded) or you’re still awaiting exams and results. "

https://www.ucas.com/ucas/undergradu...te-application
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Surrey
    Postgraduate Open Afternoon Postgraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19
  • University of Bristol
    Undergraduate Open Afternoon Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19
  • University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Day - Penryn Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19

Have you made up your mind on your five uni choices?

Yes I know where I'm applying (164)
59.21%
No I haven't decided yet (66)
23.83%
Yes but I might change my mind (47)
16.97%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise