The Student Room Group

All nines/A* but one/two U's?

Hi everyone at TSR ^^ I still haven't done my GCSEs yet, but I was wondering what would happen if someone got, for example nine 9's, but got one U in a subject like History or Italian. How would universities look at that, particularly universities like Cambridge and Oxford? Would that be an automatic rejection, supposing that you got A*AA - A*A*A*or at A-level?? Just curious since I haven't seen anyone discussing it...forgive me if im beating a dead horse ^^
Reply 1
English, Maths and Science are the GCSE's that really matter. if you got 1 u inan unrelated subject but then absolutely smashed all othes and your A-Levels, they wont give it that much thought.
if you got a U in history, and were applying for a history degree, then it would matter more. but as long as your Alevels are all good, they tend not to worry too much about your GCSEs
Reply 2
They would probably ask you why you did so badly in those subjects you got a U in. They might take it as if you don't care about things that don't interest you, which could put them off.
I mean if you got a U in French and wanted to do a French degree then it would be a bit of a problem, but if you did badly in a subject at GCSE, you likely wouldn't take it to A-Level or university.
As unlikely as that scenario is, they'd probably remark your exams or check for mistakes or something.
Reply 5
Original post by Cutiemutt
Hi everyone at TSR ^^ I still haven't done my GCSEs yet, but I was wondering what would happen if someone got, for example nine 9's, but got one U in a subject like History or Italian. How would universities look at that, particularly universities like Cambridge and Oxford? Would that be an automatic rejection, supposing that you got A*AA - A*A*A*or at A-level?? Just curious since I haven't seen anyone discussing it...forgive me if im beating a dead horse ^^

Wouldn't matter. Unless you wanted to do History or MML in which case even then if wouldn't necessarily be "fatal". Other aspects of your application are more important than one outlier GCSE mark.
It wouldn't look good, even as an unrelated subject, because you need to completely sack it off to end up with a U which is a pretty bad trait. Shouldn't be an automatic rejection but expect to be questioned about it.

dare I say if you're realistically looking at a majority of 9s you're probably capable of more than a U, at least a 5/6. In any case it won't matter at all.

They'd be more concerned if you starting a killing school game in their university.
Reply 9
Original post by AspiringUnderdog
They'd be more concerned if you starting a killing school game in their university.

Or kidnap sixteen students and take them to a desert island. They'd probably forget about the U, at least.
I understand the GCSEs have changed and especially since I had mine. You should be able to retake the exam entirely if you have gotten a U in it.
Or kidnap sixteen students and take them to a desert island. They'd probably forget about the U, at least.

why do you think you'll get a U? that's the bottom 1%... Or does "U" here just mean a 6 or a 7? :tongue:
Reply 12

It wouldn't matter too much, but then again it would look odd that you managed to get straight A*s in everything else but then you have a U. It'll just look odd, try your best in that subject.

They'd be too concerned thinking about the despair that the world has fallen into. They won't even be able to think about that U.
....you wouldn't get "All As"

download (8).jpg

Your universities don't see the subjects you get Us in because you don't have to put them on UCAS. If you get a U, you don't get a certificate, so it "never happened".
So in some ways, it is better to get a U than a D or an E. :smile:
Reply 16
Original post by Marcus T
Your universities don't see the subjects you get Us in because you don't have to put them on UCAS. If you get a U, you don't get a certificate, so it "never happened".
So in some ways, it is better to get a U than a D or an E. :smile:

Incorrect. U grades have to be declared. They happened.
Original post by Doonesbury
Incorrect. U grades have to be declared. They happened.

Oh wow, I was told otherwise by my teacher but you're right.

"You must enter all your qualifications from secondary education onwards – whether you have the result (even any that were ungraded) or you’re still awaiting exams and results. "

https://www.ucas.com/ucas/undergraduate/apply-and-track/filling-your-ucas-undergraduate-application
I think it would be quite difficult to get a "U" in History and Italian even if you did not like the subjects. Lets say you got a D/E for the subjects that grade resonate with me and seems more likely in the wake of the supposed make belief other results. It would not be too much of an issue unless that say having been accepted for something like Law degree at Cambridge. You decided because a Law degree is an interdisciplinary subject with Italian or History at Cambridge that would raise some eyebrow!

I suggest if you are having to study these subjects or subjects you don't like. So study your text books, follow your syllabus practice past papers, revision books search for revision sites, Youtube and ensure you achieve the best you possibly can in the subjects.

Imagine in order to get into the Cambridge they will require at least a 8/7 in History and Italian GCSE. I would focus on getting that all above in yo

70%of student receive A*/A
https://getrevising.co.uk
How to Study Subjects you HATE... and get good grades
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4SHBmGdDr_g
Italian Resources Your teacher + Textbook + Syllabus
https://www.teachitalian.co.uk/gcse.html
History Resources Your teacher+ Textbook+ Syllabus
https://schoolhistory.co.uk/
Study Along with Jade get your books out, coursework/Homework/revision/past papers for 2hours
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fSmowvRHYmw

Quick Reply

Latest