Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I feel like first year history lectures are quite... pointless. They just tell me the theme of the topic with really general points that I know already due to the reading. Will it matter if I skip a few and watch them on lecture capture?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xx1t35)
    I feel like first year history lectures are quite... pointless. They just tell me the theme of the topic with really general points that I know already due to the reading. Will it matter if I skip a few and watch them on lecture capture?
    I'd say go to the lectures cause that's the bit your paying £9000 for, I also find that I tend to listen more in lectures just because of the atmosphere.

I'm a 2nd year history student and trust during the first year in semester 1 most of the lectures felt pointless, however, looking back on it I can see why we needed those lectures because it's the foundations that you'll need to know during your time as a history student, such as theory.

ReputationRep:
    They can feel a bit superfluous. Some of mine definitely were - four 'lectures' in Y1 for me were watching films. Didn't bother going beyond the first one. But it is true that it's good to get in the habit of going since you'll need to turn up to everything in subsequent years. Plus it's sensible to go if only for general points, since that's the skeleton you flesh out with your reading. Lectures are guidance for what to aim for in subsequent study.

That and what are you going to be doing during the time you get from skipping?

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.