Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi I was wondering if anyone can help with answering the question critically evaluate the impact that r v kennedy in 20007 has on the law relating to caustaion I have read the cases relating to this like R v Dais, the other kennedy cases and R v Brugess and Bryam, R v Cato, R v Finaly ect and I read them twice, I think I am reading the wrong parts because I am looking at the judgements the make sense but each one I just don't get how it links to causation.
    I started my essay but I think I am muddling up the points because the causal link isn't there so my essay wont be answering the question. Any help would be really useful rn.

ReputationRep:
    So in Cato the question was did the voluntary act of self-administration break the chain of causation. It was held that a defendant could be potentially liable for manslaughter if (i) committed an unlawful act. (ii) this act was a criminal offence (iii) the act was a significant cause of the victim's death. However, bear in mind the literal rule of statutory interpretation in regard to Sec 23 of the offences against the person act 1861 about the self-administration of a noxious thing. Kennedy 2 is the authority case where the question about the act of self-administration breaking the chain held in Cato is revisited. A little bit cryptic, I know, but it all revolves around did Cato get it right in regard to Sec 23 of the offences against act.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 26, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.