Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hello

I am hoping you can give me some clarity. I have a previous degree which I accessed student loans for. I am intending to study for a second degree in Paramedic Practice starting Sept 2018. The course leads to HCPC registration, is an allied health care profession, and receives no funding from the local health authority or ambulance service or NHS. With this is mind, in theory I should be eligible to receive a second student loan. Please can you confirm this is correct? Ambulance services funding degree programmes has almost ceased for 2018 and the majority of courses are supposed to be funded entirely by students;therefore the previous situation where the courses were funded differently to other allied health courses such as nursing is no longer the case. Student finance said if I can prove the course leads to registration and has no trust affiliation or funding I could apply for finance;however have also been told the opposite by 1 University. Another uni I spoke to said they could provide a supporting letter for student finance to assist my application. Paramedic practice isn't listed on student finance website under the allied health profession list, however it is an allied health profession in the exact same way nursing, midwifery or physiotherapy is and is HCPC registered. Please can I get confirmation that I would be eligible for a second student loan if I get a supporting letter from a university, before I submit my ucas application and plan to move for a course.

Kind Regards

Rebecca Welsh
    • Official TSR Representative

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bexwelsh)
    Hello

I am hoping you can give me some clarity. I have a previous degree which I accessed student loans for. I am intending to study for a second degree in Paramedic Practice starting Sept 2018. The course leads to HCPC registration, is an allied health care profession, and receives no funding from the local health authority or ambulance service or NHS. With this is mind, in theory I should be eligible to receive a second student loan. Please can you confirm this is correct? Ambulance services funding degree programmes has almost ceased for 2018 and the majority of courses are supposed to be funded entirely by students;therefore the previous situation where the courses were funded differently to other allied health courses such as nursing is no longer the case. Student finance said if I can prove the course leads to registration and has no trust affiliation or funding I could apply for finance;however have also been told the opposite by 1 University. Another uni I spoke to said they could provide a supporting letter for student finance to assist my application. Paramedic practice isn't listed on student finance website under the allied health profession list, however it is an allied health profession in the exact same way nursing, midwifery or physiotherapy is and is HCPC registered. Please can I get confirmation that I would be eligible for a second student loan if I get a supporting letter from a university, before I submit my ucas application and plan to move for a course.

Kind Regards

Rebecca Welsh
    Hi Rebecca,

If you have already gained a BA degree then you would not be eligible for more funding, as Paramedic Practice is not classed as one of our exception courses. We only class as an exception course if you are entitled to funding from the Ambulance Service Trust. If you are not eligible for this then it will fall under our normal previous study/Equivalent level qualification calculations.

Thanks Erin.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Erin SFE)
    Hi Rebecca,

If you have already gained a BA degree then you would not be eligible for more funding, as Paramedic Practice is not classed as one of our exception courses. We only class as an exception course if you are entitled to funding from the Ambulance Service Trust. If you are not eligible for this then it will fall under our normal previous study/Equivalent level qualification calculations.

Thanks Erin.

Hi Erin

Thank you for your email. This is very disappointing news. I would be eligible for ambulance service funding; however nearly all the University courses have lost their ambulance service funding and they no longer get any funding for the course therefore ask for students to apply for loans from 2018 onwards. Can you tell me why it is not on your list of allied health professions when a paramedic is an allied health profession and is HCPC registered in the same way nursing, midwifery, podiatry etc is? The course is structured in the same way as those other courses.

If the University can provide evidence it is the same type of course as nursing etc would a second loan be available?

ReputationRep:
    Hi Erin

Thank you for your email. This is very disappointing news. I would be eligible for ambulance service funding; however nearly all the University courses have lost their ambulance service funding and they no longer get any funding for the course therefore ask for students to apply for loans from 2018 onwards. Can you tell me why it is not on your list of allied health professions when a paramedic is an allied health profession and is HCPC registered in the same way nursing, midwifery, podiatry etc is? The course is structured in the same way as those other courses.

If the University can provide evidence it is the same type of course as nursing etc would a second loan be available?
    Hi Rebecca,

The course is not currently listed as an allied health profession and if you are looking to apply for funding in the next academic year 2018, there maybe changes to courses and funding that have not yet been released . The applications for 2018 will be available from march 2018. You can contact us nearer the time and we can advise if there is any changes to the course and funding.

Thanks

Louise

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Louise E SFE)
    Hi Rebecca,

The course is not currently listed as an allied health profession and if you are looking to apply for funding in the next academic year 2018, there maybe changes to courses and funding that have not yet been released . The applications for 2018 will be available from march 2018. You can contact us nearer the time and we can advise if there is any changes to the course and funding.

Thanks

Louise
    Thank you for this information. If I were to undertake the diploma in higher education (level 5 qualification) instead of a BSc course would I be eligible to apply for an advanced learner loan to cover tuition fees?

ReputationRep:
    Thank you for this information. If I were to undertake the diploma in higher education (level 5 qualification) instead of a BSc course would I be eligible to apply for an advanced learner loan to cover tuition fees?
    Hi Rebecca,

In order to check your eligibility for funding for the level 5 qualification, I would suggest that you call the Advance Learner Loan team on 0300 100 0619.

Thanks

Louise

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.