Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hello, So I've applied for a local Christmas temp Lush job. My cover letter is really creative and as is my CV, I feel like I've done everything I can in that respect.

The job starts in mid November right through to the new year. There's one issue, however, that I feel might prevent me from getting the job. I turn sixteen a few days before Christmas. There is nowhere in the job advertisement that states you must be 16. I've trawled the internet including Lush's website and all it says is that they don't discriminate against employees based on age. Taking from this that it's the manager's discretion, but maybe I've interpreted that wrong?

I have my national insurance number and have had it for a couple of months. I would be 16 for the last two/three weeks of the role.

There would only be a few weeks where I wouldn't be, but would my age stop my application from being considered? Is there any rules/laws against working in branded retail when you haven't yet turned 16?

Really keen to get this job as it would be absolutely perfect, just concerned I don't have a chance. I have applied anyway but what do you guys think?
    • Community Assistant
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ethistu7)
    Hello, So I've applied for a local Christmas temp Lush job. My cover letter is really creative and as is my CV, I feel like I've done everything I can in that respect.

The job starts in mid November right through to the new year. There's one issue, however, that I feel might prevent me from getting the job. I turn sixteen a few days before Christmas. There is nowhere in the job advertisement that states you must be 16. I've trawled the internet including Lush's website and all it says is that they don't discriminate against employees based on age. Taking from this that it's the manager's discretion, but maybe I've interpreted that wrong?

I have my national insurance number and have had it for a couple of months. I would be 16 for the last two/three weeks of the role.

There would only be a few weeks where I wouldn't be, but would my age stop my application from being considered? Is there any rules/laws against working in branded retail when you haven't yet turned 16?

Really keen to get this job as it would be absolutely perfect, just concerned I don't have a chance. I have applied anyway but what do you guys think?
    To the best of my knowledge, you can't get a job when you're 15, as you need to be 16, but I might be wrong.

ReputationRep:
    -shrugs- The Lush near me was recruting and it said 18+ on the advertisement.

ReputationRep:
    Is it part-time or full-time hours? If it's part-time you're okay. Age 13 and above is the legal minimum age in the UK for working part-time

https://www.gov.uk/child-employment

ReputationRep:
    It's very unlikely they'll take you on at 15. You need a national insurance number for starters and usually companies won't hire under 16's due to all the laws surrounding it.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.