Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

I've had acne since I was 12, I'm now 20. Over the years I've been prescribed all sorts of creams and antibiotics but I still have acne. Now it's not really really awful but it's painful and humilating and it feels like it's wearing me down when I get these big cystic breakouts that last for weeks then just as they die down and I get hopeful....more arrive. And leave marks that take YEARS to fade.

I haven't left the house without makeup in 8 years, moving to uni was utterly terrifying because people would see me without makeup and I still don't feel comfortable living with other people who see me barefaced.

I'm tempted to make a doctors appointment because it affects me so much but I'm scared they'll tell me I'm overreacting. Would you go and see a doctor?

ReputationRep:
    If it's affecting you this much (and it sounds bad, I'm sorry to hear you're going through this), then yes, I would go and see a doctor. They might be able to prescribe you something a bit stronger than what treatments you can buy over the counter. You can also place some trust in that it's likely to steadily get better over the next few years, as is the way with many likewise skin conditions.

Best of luck to you!
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I've had acne since I was 12, I'm now 20. Over the years I've been prescribed all sorts of creams and antibiotics but I still have acne. Now it's not really really awful but it's painful and humilating and it feels like it's wearing me down when I get these big cystic breakouts that last for weeks then just as they die down and I get hopeful....more arrive. And leave marks that take YEARS to fade.

I haven't left the house without makeup in 8 years, moving to uni was utterly terrifying because people would see me without makeup and I still don't feel comfortable living with other people who see me barefaced.

I'm tempted to make a doctors appointment because it affects me so much but I'm scared they'll tell me I'm overreacting. Would you go and see a doctor?
    Well given that you've been prescribed things already that haven't helped and that you are this stressed about it you clearly do have an issue.
    Go see a doc. If nothing else it's good to have an introductory appt at your new surgery if you have ongoing issues. I'm not sure how much they will be able to help since you've already tried a lot, but it's always worth finding out.

ReputationRep:
    Have you tried things like cutting out dairy, drinking green tea or even a Korean skincare routine? I’ve had bad skin since I was about 11 but over the past couple of years it’s gotten drastically better after cutting out milk, fizzy drinks and upping my skincare game (takes time but it’s worth it). A lot of my spots are hormonal so I take Primrose oil capsules. I have also found that rose water and witch hazel are great, and using a black African soap (with cold water) has helped to prevent new breakouts.

If none of the above has an effect then definitely go and see a dermatologist, you’re not overreacting and if anyone tells you that go and see a different (better) doctor.
    Acne sucks, good luck with everything
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 26, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.