Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

CAMHS referral, haven't told my mum. 16yo Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I went to see my GP about my depression and described to her all my symptoms in detail and had a breakdown. She referred me to CAMHS. She called it an urgent referral and said she'd need my mum's contact details. I thought I could consent for myself, turns out I can't. I haven't told my mum about any of my issues and panicked and gave her my number. I read online that they expect a parent to come to the initial consultation and be there for any subsequent diagnosis. What do I do?

ReputationRep:
    Sorry to hear you don't feel like you can share your issues with your mum. However they say 'a trouble shared is a trouble halved'. Is there any other relation you'd be happy to ask e.g. grandparent, aunt/uncle?Also (though I'm not sure what kind of relationship you have with your mum), have you thought about how your mum might feel if she knew you were 'suffering in silence'? No parent wants to think of their child being in pain. Maybe she'd be more supportive than you think. They're supposed to have your back.Have you had a mooch around the Young Minds website? https://youngminds.org.uk/Also CAMHS don't always have quick answers/solutions so in the meantime see if your local library offers Shelfhelp: https://readingagency.org.uk/news/me...al-health.html

ReputationRep:
    TBH I would talk to your mum, you could do with her support. If you're insistent on not talking to her you CAN consent for yourself providing you understand what you're doing so go back and talk to the GP again - but bear in mind if you talked about being suicidal or self harming then they can talk to your mum in order to protect you from yourself.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 23, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.