The Student Room Group

Loan as a migrant worker

Hello,

Could you please tell me about how long it takes to process a migrant worker application?

Also, since I only applied after the start of the course, does that mean I won't get payment for the full year, but only for part of the year (with regards to the maintenance loan)?

And a final question, if I fulfilled all the criteria, is there still a chance that I will be refused a maintenance loan?

Thank you very much!
Original post by AlexVl
Hello,

Could you please tell me about how long it takes to process a migrant worker application?

Also, since I only applied after the start of the course, does that mean I won't get payment for the full year, but only for part of the year (with regards to the maintenance loan)?

And a final question, if I fulfilled all the criteria, is there still a chance that I will be refused a maintenance loan?

Thank you very much!

Hi AlexVl,

At the moment these applications are taking approx 6-8 weeks to fully process. If we have all the correct evidence to cover the full year then you would be eligible for the full year funding and anything you should have received will be back dated for you.

Thanks Erin.
Reply 2
Original post by Erin SFE
Hi AlexVl,

At the moment these applications are taking approx 6-8 weeks to fully process. If we have all the correct evidence to cover the full year then you would be eligible for the full year funding and anything you should have received will be back dated for you.

Thanks Erin.

Hi Erin,

Thank you for your reply.

Sorry, I have one more question. I'm in my last year of university, and haven't applied for loans as a migrant worker until now, but have worked throughout my entire course. The only thing is that I started my course in September 2014 (I did a foundation year) and only started work in November 2014, so after my course started. Is this a decisive factor in my application, or does it not matter that I have started work a bit after I started my course?
Original post by AlexVl
Hi Erin,

Thank you for your reply.

Sorry, I have one more question. I'm in my last year of university, and haven't applied for loans as a migrant worker until now, but have worked throughout my entire course. The only thing is that I started my course in September 2014 (I did a foundation year) and only started work in November 2014, so after my course started. Is this a decisive factor in my application, or does it not matter that I have started work a bit after I started my course?

Hi AlexVl,

You will only be able to apply as a Migrant Worker for your current year as you only have nine months from the start of that year to change anything on your account. As long as we have evidence to show you are working in this current year then we can look to see if you are eligible.

Thanks Erin.
Reply 4
Original post by Erin SFE
Hi AlexVl,

You will only be able to apply as a Migrant Worker for your current year as you only have nine months from the start of that year to change anything on your account. As long as we have evidence to show you are working in this current year then we can look to see if you are eligible.

Thanks Erin.

Yes, I am only applying for this current year of course. I just though maybe the fact that I started work after starting my university course in 2014 will somehow affect my application for this current year.

Anyway, thank you very much for your help!
Original post by AlexVl
Yes, I am only applying for this current year of course. I just though maybe the fact that I started work after starting my university course in 2014 will somehow affect my application for this current year.

Anyway, thank you very much for your help!

Hi AlexVI,

Starting work after you started your university course will not affect your current application.

Thanks
Louise
Reply 6
Original post by Louise E SFE
Hi AlexVI,

Starting work after you started your university course will not affect your current application.

Thanks
Louise

Great, thank you! :smile:

Quick Reply