Inaccuracy in exam marking - getting worse? Watch

The Learn Ranger
  • TSR Community Team
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 11 months ago
This article mirrors a lot of the conversations I've had with exam markers since the summer.

https://www.theguardian.com/teacher-...n-exam-marking

The extra grades at GCSE make grade boundaries even closer together and more prone to error.

At the same time it's getting harder and harder for the awarding bodies to attract examiners with the experience and quality needed.

So is there a crisis in marking quality or are some inaccuracies just an inevitable part of the system and we have to live with them?
Lit teacher
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
We've had more grades changed this year than any other. One paper went up 16 marks, another had a whole question missed off and went up by 20 marks. Another local school had a similar story. Exam boards were still advertising vacancies for markers two weeks before the exam started, which makes me wonder about how desperate they were.
Pigster
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
I made, on average, less than one mitsake on each paper that I marked this summer.
meganclark
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
My AQA politics AS went up 20 UMS, 15 UMS on the unit 1 paper. Went from a B to an A but how can 15 UMS be missed off one paper???????????
drriversong
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
my history cw went from 40/40 to 20/40. Had it remarked and it remained the same.
Bubs051213
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
A friend's Geography went up 12 marks (just over one paper). I really don't understand how you can get something that wrong?!
rainbowcthulu
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
My GCSE Biology B3 paper went from me just being on the boundary for a D to a solid A. They must've missed half the paper or something. :P
marniedavies03
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
Yeah my friend's english went up 27 marks !
Texxers
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
Why am I absolutely struggling to believe half of these comments?
Hirsty97
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
I always worried that exam markers couldn't read my handwriting and marked me down for that. My handwriting is always crabbed and illegible, but I'm always meticulous with my spelling. I wonder how many marks I may have lost? It's a shame my school wouldn't give me provisions to use a laptop.
cricinfo
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
(Original post by marniedavies03)
Yeah my friend's english went up 27 marks !
Is it too late to get a remark?
thegalaxy
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
(Original post by cricinfo)
Is it too late to get a remark?
yes. Deadline was 21st Sept
cricinfo
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
(Original post by thegalaxy)
yes. Deadline was 21st Sept
Damn. All right, thanks anyway - I'll take a 7.
anarchism101
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
It worries me, as it's part of a general theme of GCSE and A-Level exams being made more and more hyped, stressful, fragile and unrealistic.

I remember being astonished the first time I took an exam at university how relatively relaxed and easy-going the environment was compared to my hyper-tense GCSEs and A Levels.
X

Reply to thread

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Who is most responsible for your success at university

Mostly me (104)
95.41%
Mostly my university including my lecturers/tutors (5)
4.59%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise