Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Inaccuracy in exam marking - getting worse? Watch

• TSR Community Team

ReputationRep:
    This article mirrors a lot of the conversations I've had with exam markers since the summer.

https://www.theguardian.com/teacher-...n-exam-marking

The extra grades at GCSE make grade boundaries even closer together and more prone to error.

At the same time it's getting harder and harder for the awarding bodies to attract examiners with the experience and quality needed.

So is there a crisis in marking quality or are some inaccuracies just an inevitable part of the system and we have to live with them?

ReputationRep:
    We've had more grades changed this year than any other. One paper went up 16 marks, another had a whole question missed off and went up by 20 marks. Another local school had a similar story. Exam boards were still advertising vacancies for markers two weeks before the exam started, which makes me wonder about how desperate they were.

ReputationRep:
    I made, on average, less than one mitsake on each paper that I marked this summer.

ReputationRep:
    My AQA politics AS went up 20 UMS, 15 UMS on the unit 1 paper. Went from a B to an A but how can 15 UMS be missed off one paper???????????

ReputationRep:
    my history cw went from 40/40 to 20/40. Had it remarked and it remained the same.

ReputationRep:
    A friend's Geography went up 12 marks (just over one paper). I really don't understand how you can get something that wrong?!

ReputationRep:
    My GCSE Biology B3 paper went from me just being on the boundary for a D to a solid A. They must've missed half the paper or something. :P

ReputationRep:
    Yeah my friend's english went up 27 marks !

ReputationRep:
    Why am I absolutely struggling to believe half of these comments?

ReputationRep:
    I always worried that exam markers couldn't read my handwriting and marked me down for that. My handwriting is always crabbed and illegible, but I'm always meticulous with my spelling. I wonder how many marks I may have lost? It's a shame my school wouldn't give me provisions to use a laptop.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by marniedavies03)
    Yeah my friend's english went up 27 marks !
    Is it too late to get a remark?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cricinfo)
    Is it too late to get a remark?
    yes. Deadline was 21st Sept

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thegalaxy)
    yes. Deadline was 21st Sept
    Damn. All right, thanks anyway - I'll take a 7.

ReputationRep:
    It worries me, as it's part of a general theme of GCSE and A-Level exams being made more and more hyped, stressful, fragile and unrealistic.

I remember being astonished the first time I took an exam at university how relatively relaxed and easy-going the environment was compared to my hyper-tense GCSEs and A Levels.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources
    Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.