Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I want to go to Brighton uni to study sociology and need to hand my application in, in the next few weeks or so. I keep seeing lots of stuff about how all this volunteering work needs to have been done and shadowing otherwise no one will accept me into uni. I have done work experience which was pr work at a festival and have done voluntary work around the school but nothing really special. My predicted grades meet the criteria and my reference from my sociology teacher will be good because i am a good student who works hard and does extra work. Will i get a place even if i haven't done lots of volunteering or anything?
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bmth11)
    I want to go to Brighton uni to study sociology and need to hand my application in, in the next few weeks or so. I keep seeing lots of stuff about how all this volunteering work needs to have been done and shadowing otherwise no one will accept me into uni. I have done work experience which was pr work at a festival and have done voluntary work around the school but nothing really special. My predicted grades meet the criteria and my reference from my sociology teacher will be good because i am a good student who works hard and does extra work. Will i get a place even if i haven't done lots of volunteering or anything?
    Admissions staff only need to see volunteering/work experience for vocational degrees (medicine, health care, teaching etc ) - for sociology your PS should be mainly talking about your current interests in the subject, any extra reading/lectures/podcasts/etc that you've done outside of college and the areas you're looking forward to finding out more about at university.

ReputationRep:
    I'm studying a sociology degree and had no previous work experience apart from that week they make you do in high school. Honestly they don't mind.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    For a sociology degree, they don't really care about work experience as the previous people have mentioned. Just focus on writing why you want to study the course, your interests and what you see yourself doing in the future with the course

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources
    Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Find your perfect uni course

Don't know where to apply? Let our uni match maker be your guide

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.