sending an edited version of your PS after ucas has been sent?

Watch
Jibzy
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 12 years ago
hey. im just curious. if one sent in their application but realised some very costly mistakes in the personal statement, would it be helpful to email the uni with an edited statement, explaining everything?
username62978
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Well they might not notice if you don't tell them... you could always retract your application and resubmit it? But then obviously you would lose the two offers that you already have.

How costly are these errors?
Jibzy
Rep:
?
yeah ur ryte. i would lose those offers. it's very risky to do it that way....
the mistakes are very costly in terms of punctuation and sentence structure. i basically rushed the application...which was a bad move. bt perhaps im just too paranoid. but would be ok for me to send u the old statement and the edited one i did? just to show u how bad the errors where. i dont know how Nottingham overlooked it!
username62978
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Obviously the two that accepted you have overlooked them! I had some big errors in my PS, which have so far been overlooked (They were major factual errors about a book that I'd read, as well as some bad punctuation). You can PM me the old and new statements if you like.
βored
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by username62978)
Well they might not notice if you don't tell them... you could always retract your application and resubmit it? But then obviously you would lose the two offers that you already have.
Sorry, but this is wrong. If you withdraw you will NOT be able to apply again this year.
Last edited by RK; 7 months ago
username62978
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by βored)
Sorry, but this is wrong. If you withdraw you will NOT be able to apply again this year.
Is that so? I have been misled.
kingofgods
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Yep if you withdraw you cant apply again untill the next uni year..I contacted universitys directly as my personal statement was accidently sent with only a few lines...and they accepted my applications through email then updated on UCAS
βored
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Yeah, it's true. (I didn't intend to sound so harsh in my last post though lol)

(Original post by UCAS site)
You can withdraw your application at any time by going to Track or by phoning our Customer Service Unit. If you withdraw, you cannot submit another application during this academic year and you cannot go through Clearing. If you have withdrawn from the scheme but, for exceptional reasons, you want to re-enter it, you should write to us with full details and ask for advice.
Jibzy
Rep:
?
really. can i still do that. i wana do that for LSE.so wait i send then the statement? and then do i contact UCAS?
Jibzy
Rep:
?
(Original post by username62978)
Obviously the two that accepted you have overlooked them! I had some big errors in my PS, which have so far been overlooked (They were major factual errors about a book that I'd read, as well as some bad punctuation). You can PM me the old and new statements if you like.

done
Last edited by RK; 7 months ago
kingofgods
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
well the main personal statement that went through with the ucas application was saying i wanted to do engineering..i had a change of heart and decided to do law so did a personal statement for that emailed my situation to university then they advised i apply for them through ucas and they would match up the email and i got a conditional offer
Jibzy
Rep:
?
oh ok. im hoping it would work for my situation as well. though unlike u i was pretty sure on the course. but how did u get ur application back from ucas to changee? i didnt know that was possible. i thought i could just mail the uni itself about the info?
Queen Alice
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Personally I don't think it is worth it.

They may not even notice the mistakes, but they will if you tell them about them!

If I were an admin tutor, I would wonder why they did not get their statement right the first time, and might assume they are unorganised.
Juno
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
If the "costly mistake" is admitting your a serial killer, then contact unis directly (not UCAS, actually phone the unis) to change it.

For anything slightly less serious, leave it. They won't notice a few spelling mistakes - a lot of people make them!
musicbloke
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Please can people not just send their PSes to anyone who says they'll help on the forum. If you want help with a PS then use the secure PS Help service provided by the site (which is secure so people can't plagiarise elements of your statement), or if you've already sent your statement then there's probably not much you can do so just don't send your statement on.

MB
Laevis
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
OP, why are you rolling your eyes at your offers?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (706)
33.91%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (890)
42.75%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (393)
18.88%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (93)
4.47%

Watched Threads