Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I am currently in the process of applying for university (September 2018 start) I am getting a bit confused when working out my household income. I am a 19 year old single Mum and am currently living with my parents. Does my parents income tie in with my income when applying? Do I have to include their income? I was always told from benefit advisors -when applying for and going to meetings about my income support and child tax credits that I class as my own household despite living with my Mum and Dad - so do I class as my own household for student maintenance loans etc as I would for benefits? I am not financially dependent on my parents in anyway I have to give them £300 a month to live with them. I have been advised to stop my income support for the loans but don’t know what to put on the student finance loans because I’m not sure as to whether my mum and Dad have to be stated in the household income.
    • Official TSR Representative

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Emmajhall3)
    I am currently in the process of applying for university (September 2018 start) I am getting a bit confused when working out my household income. I am a 19 year old single Mum and am currently living with my parents. Does my parents income tie in with my income when applying? Do I have to include their income? I was always told from benefit advisors -when applying for and going to meetings about my income support and child tax credits that I class as my own household despite living with my Mum and Dad - so do I class as my own household for student maintenance loans etc as I would for benefits? I am not financially dependent on my parents in anyway I have to give them £300 a month to live with them. I have been advised to stop my income support for the loans but don’t know what to put on the student finance loans because I’m not sure as to whether my mum and Dad have to be stated in the household income.
    Hi Emma,

If you have care of a child under the age of 18 then you will be classed as an independent student for the purpose of funding. This means we do not use your parents income for the assessment of Maintenance etc. We would use your income only. You will be able to apply for the maximum amount of Maintenance Loan, Tuition Fees and Grants for Dependents which includes Childcare Grant and Parent's Learning Allowance.

Hope this helps if you have any other questions just let us know.

Thanks Erin.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.