Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Grow Your Grades, and maybe even get into medicine!! Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    About Me:
    Hey!! So my name is Leena and I'm currently in year 13. Im 17 and i love baking, dancing and singing. I live in London, and have attended state schools for my whole academic career.
    I doing A level RE, Biology, Maths and Chemistry (all edexcel). In AS I got ABBC respectively, which is ok but in the context of doing medicine, it isnt so good :eek:. For GCSE I got 4A*s 6As and 2Cs (and a U in Latin but we dont talk about that)
    In the summer I took my UKCAT and this is what i got:
    • verbal reasoning:580
    • decision making:700
    • quantitative reasoning:770
    • abstract reasoning:580
    • situational judgement: band 4 (idk how I did so badly )

I also sat the BMAT in September, but those results were not so great, so I will not be using them.

UCAS Application:
    I have just applied to Barts, Dundee, Bristol, and UEA, all for medicine and pharmacy at UCL. All these unis want at least AAA so i have decent amount of ''growing'' to do to get these grades. I will update this thread if/when i get interviews and offers

I'm going to be recording my process here, as a way to motivate myself, and hopefully other people too . I've also never done this before, so I'm sorry if I've made some mistakes oops

ReputationRep:
    Monday 23rd October:
    In the past week i have been trying to make small changes to my daily routine to make my day more effective. These include:
    • waking up at 5:45 rather than 6:30
    • getting to school earlier, around 7:45 and do some revision in the library
    • making a list each day on what I need to do, this can be either personal or academic

I think that something is working, as I seem to feel much more organised and on top of things,as well as being happier . I even got an A on Thursdays chem test (something which has not happened for a long time!!!

For this week, which is half term, I made a list on what needs to be done, it includes both homework and revision, on Saturday. It's very satisfying to be able to tick things off once they are done!!

Name:  IMG_7311.jpg
Views: 26
Size:  481.2 KB

ReputationRep:
    good luck on your journey!!! what inspired you to do med?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mez_merising)
    good luck on your journey!!! what inspired you to do med?
    aww thanks!! Im not entirely sure if there was a particular moment where i suddenly wanted to medicine, i think it was more gradual. I just really love the idea that doctors are always learning, and they have the capacity to literally make someone feel completely different.

ReputationRep:
    uea is very close to me! i’m in year 10 at the moment, but i might consider applying there for medicine (it would save a fortune if i could stay at home instead of having to pay rent or accommodation fees ahha) good luck - i’m excited to see how you get on!
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by anyapoundall02)
    uea is very close to me! i’m in year 10 at the moment, but i might consider applying there for medicine (it would save a fortune if i could stay at home instead of having to pay rent or accommodation fees ahha) good luck - i’m excited to see how you get on!
    Ive heard the area is really nice!! I havent actually been to see it yet, which could be a massive mistake, since i was originally planning to apply to imperial (which would have been great bc its insanely close to me) but after doing the BMAT i have decided against it. What is the university/area like btw?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Yipyipee)
    Ive heard the area is really nice!! I havent actually been to see it yet, which could be a massive mistake, since i was originally planning to apply to imperial (which would have been great bc its insanely close to me) but after doing the BMAT i have decided against it. What is the university/area like btw?
    the campus is so-so, it’s nice but some of the buildings look like they’ve stayed in the 1970’s and 80’s whereas some of the other buildings have only just been built. i’m not sure whether the campus is big or not because ive only really seen uea, cambridge, leeds met and nottingham (i’m 14 so it’s not like i’ve visited anywhere), the medical school looks nice and the hospital is just down the road, also good. there’s a really beautiful river and footpath on one side of the campus as well as an art museum which i love! there’s also a sportspark with athletics track and a 50m SWIMMING POOOOOL!!! (my fave) and a gym and lots of nice things to do in there. in terms of the actual area, buses into the city are frequent and there’s lots to do but i’m not really sure how i can describe it all to you😂 if you have any specific questions, i can try and answer them for you
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by anyapoundall02)
    the campus is so-so, it’s nice but some of the buildings look like they’ve stayed in the 1970’s and 80’s whereas some of the other buildings have only just been built. i’m not sure whether the campus is big or not because ive only really seen uea, cambridge, leeds met and nottingham (i’m 14 so it’s not like i’ve visited anywhere), the medical school looks nice and the hospital is just down the road, also good. there’s a really beautiful river and footpath on one side of the campus as well as an art museum which i love! there’s also a sportspark with athletics track and a 50m SWIMMING POOOOOL!!! (my fave) and a gym and lots of nice things to do in there. in terms of the actual area, buses into the city are frequent and there’s lots to do but i’m not really sure how i can describe it all to you😂 if you have any specific questions, i can try and answer them for you
    It sounds really lovely , coming from London, I have weird expectations for everything, but I cant wait to visit!!

ReputationRep:
    Tuesady 24th October:
    Today was not insanely productive, since I was helping around the house cleaning, building ikea furniture etc...
    I have been doing some maths catch up and revision. I initially dropped maths for year 13, since I just wanted an easier year, but I started again little over a week ago.
    This means I have a decent amount of content to learn over the half term. I've learned that trig identities are the bane of my existence and they are so annoying!!! But I still find the questions fun, since its almost like cracking a code. To learn them I made revision cards so I can test myself and get them in my memory.
    My reason for taking maths again is to strengthen my application to the universities in Ireland. I plan to apply to Trinity College Dublin, UCD, Cork, and the Royal College for Surgeons to do medicine. I want to do this as they use a separate application system (so there is a higher chance of me getting in somewhere) and they do not rely on predicted grades. They decide if you are accepted about a week after results day, they rank people with their points and their HPAT score. I have heard really good things about Trinity, since my brother studies dentistry there.
    Tomorrow may be equally unproductive, since I plan to go out with my mum, but I guess its important to spend time relaxing over the holidays, while i still have the time! As a note to my future self I should finish my chemistry questions and make RE notes for my mock.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.