Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi,
    So I want to apply for medicine. I am taking exams earlier than others and am expected to finish my A levels by age 16. This means I cannot apply for medicine for 1 year (and even then it would have to be as a differed entry), and if I get accepted either way I will have 2 years before I go to uni! So what the hell am I going to do over those 2 years? Obviously I will try to gain work experience and money (lol its a good opportunity to try and save up to pay for it all). I will also read but what else can I do? I thought that maybe I could take 2 other a levels (physics and further maths)?
    And ideas would be great :/.
    LP
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    Do extra a levels and brush up on your GCSE’s? Maybe retake the ones you got an A or below in to make sure you have a stellar record. Do some extra A Levels - maybe make sure you’ve done maths, fm and triple science, and maybe history, English lit or a language <— see which one of these you haven’t done and maybe choose 2-3 to do at home. Since you’re going to spend a year sitting around I think the unis want you to really make sure everything under your belt is perfect.

I am in year 12, and I'm doing 5 A-Levels - 1 in Maths which I will take this year, then Physics, Chemistry and Further Maths which I take in Year 13. I'm also self-teaching electronics, which I will also do in year 13. I am also however doing Polish and Italian GCSE's this year, and will consider asking my school to enter me for chemistry, since I got an A and nearly missed out on an A* due to poor performance on my unit 3 exam (grading system will be different, which will be annoying, as my other non-A* GCSE's wouldn't have looked out of place using it).

ReputationRep:
    This is a genuine question of mine which might show my ignorance but don't you have to be in compulsory education until age of 18? Or has something changed that I've missed?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DrawTheLine)
    This is a genuine question of mine which might show my ignorance but don't you have to be in compulsory education until age of 18? Or has something changed that I've missed?
    No, compulsory education is until 16. But this person will have their A-Levels done by the end of year 11, which is the final year of this compulsory education.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by VirgoStrain)
    No, compulsory education is until 16. But this person will have their A-Levels done by the end of year 11, which is the final year of this compulsory education.
    Oh okay thank you. When did it change to 16?

ReputationRep:
    Oh okay thank you. When did it change to 16?
    Hasn't it always been at 16 at maximum? After all, no point making it to 18 if the people taking A-levels won't apply to uni, or if they got poor GCSE results.

ReputationRep:
    No, it's 18. Though I know people who have left college and they don't make them come back.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LadyPenelope)
    Hi,
    So I want to apply for medicine. I am taking exams earlier than others and am expected to finish my A levels by age 16. This means I cannot apply for medicine for 1 year (and even then it would have to be as a differed entry), and if I get accepted either way I will have 2 years before I go to uni! So what the hell am I going to do over those 2 years? Obviously I will try to gain work experience and money (lol its a good opportunity to try and save up to pay for it all). I will also read but what else can I do? I thought that maybe I could take 2 other a levels (physics and further maths)?
    And ideas would be great :/.
    LP
    How does that work?

ReputationRep:
    Hasn't it always been at 16 at maximum? After all, no point making it to 18 if the people taking A-levels won't apply to uni, or if they got poor GCSE results.
    I'm not sure I'm doubting myself now. My school has always said it's 18, Maybe just to try and get us to do a levels.

ReputationRep:
    I'm not sure I'm doubting myself now. My school has always said it's 18, Maybe just to try and get us to do a levels.
    They're lying. Officially, you can leave school and finish education at 16. Your school will take you to 18, which is what I think they mean, assuming you meet their mimimum GCSE grade requirements to stay in school.

ReputationRep:
    When did you complete your GCSE out of interest?

You can work once you hit 16 and if you want to go into medicine maybe try applying to jobs such as HCA?

ReputationRep:
    England:

You can leave school on the last Friday in June if you’ll be 16 by the end of the summer holidays.You must then do one of the following until you’re 18:

stay in full-time education, for example at a college

start an apprenticeship or traineeship

spend 20 hours or more a week working or volunteering, while in part-time education or training

https://www.gov.uk/know-when-you-can-leave-school

ReputationRep:
    Thanks everyone for your help-- it really is useful.

ReputationRep:
    Try going on a year-long exchange programme in some other countries, that is what I did last year. I went to France and now I speak French quite fluently whereas I couldn't speak it at all before departing. Also, you will experience a lot of other things others cannot and looks very good on your CV. However, I was supposed to finish my A levels at 18 but I have to finish at 19 because they don't count my exchange year as a year. In your case, I think you will have no problem with it.
    The programme I went with was AFS.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.