Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Bank statement showing £40 spent in Tesco!? Watch

ReputationRep:
    I'm really confused as to how I've had two consecutive payments made in Tesco.. One was 5£ and then the next on the same day was 35£. The first payment sounds like how much I would spend in Tesco but there's no way I'd ever spend 35£ in tesco.

Idk could it be an error..

ReputationRep:
    Unlikely to be an error, more likely to be fraud if you're certain it wasn't you. Drunk night out perhaps? If not then call your bank and they can sort it. Check your statement for any other small or unusual spends.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Duncan2012)
    Unlikely to be an error, more likely to be fraud if you're certain it wasn't you. Drunk night out perhaps? If not then call your bank and they can sort it. Check your statement for any other small or unusual spends.

Yea, I'm certain it isn't me. And I dont drink. There is one other payment the day before that doesn't seem like I did it. But it's only 11£. None of the other payments are suspicious.

ReputationRep:
    you went to Tesco and spent that money with your card.

try and remember...
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by study beats)
    you went to Tesco and spent that money with your card.

try and remember...
    Haha that's hilarious. The most I'd spend at the moment in tesco is upto 5£ for lunch or sweets.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nettled)
    Yea, I'm certain it isn't me. And I dont drink. There is one other payment the day before that doesn't seem like I did it. But it's only 11£. None of the other payments are suspicious.
    If someone has got hold of your card details (fairly easily done, unfortunately) then they often start with a small payment to see if it gets detected. If not, then they'll go for something bigger. The less noticeable the payments are the less likely you are to stop them. I've had it done to me - banks are well aware of these issues and will refund the money. Call your bank today.

ReputationRep:
    Have you got receipts? maybe they can help refresh your memory if you may have forgotten.

ReputationRep:
    contact your card provider/bank at once. they will stop any further misuse of the card.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Duncan2012)
    If someone has got hold of your card details (fairly easily done, unfortunately) then they often start with a small payment to see if it gets detected. If not, then they'll go for something bigger. The less noticeable the payments are the less likely you are to stop them. I've had it done to me - banks are well aware of these issues and will refund the money. Call your bank today.
    Actually, I'm starting to think it's my parents. Although, when asked they did say they didn't spend it. And it is over a month ago so they could have possibly forgetten. I'd rather they just told me. Instead of doing this ugh.

ReputationRep:
    Have a careful think. Sometimes things show up unexpectedly. E.g. I once panicked because there was a bunch of transactions showing up as taking place in Edinburgh when I hadn't left Manchester in weeks - turned out that was just where the business was registering the payments. Could you have used an ATM or tesco express store, bought petrol etc. Think not just about Tesco but whether you actually spend that amount anywhere recently. If you don't think so then contact your bank asap in case it's a fraudulent purchase and get your card cancelled.

Also is there any chance a friend/partner/etc 'borrowed' your card?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nettled)
    Actually, I'm starting to think it's my parents. Although, when asked they did say they didn't spend it. And it is over a month ago so they could have possibly forgetten. I'd rather they just told me. Instead of doing this ugh.
    Does anyone have access to your card and PIN? Do you have any other card payments that you didn't authorise?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by doodle_333)
    Have a careful think. Sometimes things show up unexpectedly. E.g. I once panicked because there was a bunch of transactions showing up as taking place in Edinburgh when I hadn't left Manchester in weeks - turned out that was just where the business was registering the payments. Could you have used an ATM or tesco express store, bought petrol etc. Think not just about Tesco but whether you actually spend that amount anywhere recently. If you don't think so then contact your bank asap in case it's a fraudulent purchase and get your card cancelled.

Also is there any chance a friend/partner/etc 'borrowed' your card?
    Yea,I had to check my previous month's bank statement. I allowed my parents to take out a huge sum on the 18th. And then on the next month statement it showed on the 18th naother payment the 11£. And then on the 20th the 40£. But I was confused as I had made an online payment myself that day the 40£ waspent. So I was certain I had my card. But it seems like my parent's must have continued using it. And I must have taken it back that same day.

Apologies for the hassle. It must have been my parents even though they did say no.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
    Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.