Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Worth getting an LNAT with BBB? Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hey,

I'm getting pretty old now (22), thinking of applying for University next September as I'm wasting my life away on a job with no progression currently.

At A-Level I studied Law, Politics and Government and History, with an EPQ in Law & Policing. I got BBB in the A Levels and an A in the EPQ.

Before applying would it be worth completing an LNAT to put on my application with it? I'm fairly confident I'd do fairly well, my A-Levels were modular and I was predicted A*AA originally.

I had these results in the first three exams for each subject, then, after not revising on the last day I went to the pub for three or four hours prior to the exams and ended up with Ds and Es for that final test giving me BBB overall.
    Biggest mistake of my life.

So if I took another exam I think I'd do quite well with it, but I've noticed the LNAT Exam is required by A*AA or AAA universities only, so I don't know if there is any point spending £50 doing it if it won't help the others at all. Was wondering if applying to some AAB/ABBs with BBB+LNAT would help, or if they'd consider it irrelevant and just look at the BBB?

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    The only time you will need to complete the LNAT is if your University application requires it. From what I understand, Universities who do not require it will not take it into consideration so... it'd be a waste of time.

If you are curious as to whether you would do well, jump in and do some online tests for free to satisfy your curiosity

ReputationRep:
    No point if you aren't applying to unis that require it

ReputationRep:
    Consider the Access course/foundation year, as you are quite limited in what courses you will be able to apply to with BBB.

Unfortunately, the LNAT will be no use to you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Notorious_B.I.G.)
    Consider the Access course/foundation year, as you are quite limited in what courses you will be able to apply to with BBB.

Unfortunately, the LNAT will be no use to you.
    Can't do an access/foundation year.

I did a foundation year for a couple of months for Engineering, got bored an left.

Student Finance I think only pay for 4 years and I've already used one.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dan_211)
    Can't do an access/foundation year.

I did a foundation year for a couple of months for Engineering, got bored an left.

Student Finance I think only pay for 4 years and I've already used one.
    Just to butt in- student finance will pay for any length of the course but you have one gift year as you said. I had the same issue.

So your second course can be as long as you like but if you drop our again they won't pay for another course.

ReputationRep:
    There's literally no point you doing the LNAT, the uni either requires it or it doesn't. If it does require it, I believe the LNAT company or whatever it is tells your unis directly (this was the case when I applied in 2011 and I haven't heard that it's changed, but apologies if I'm wrong). If you are applying to a uni that accepts BBB grades they will most likely not require the LNAT and you would be taking it only to get your score and presumably put it in your personal statement or something, which is unnecessary. Further, again unless this has changed, you don't get the score yourself until January whereas by then all your unis that required it would've already received it - unless you're planning to wait until January to apply, which is not a good idea, by the time you even had the score it would be useless anyway as you'd have already sent off your UCAS.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rnv)
    Just to butt in- student finance will pay for any length of the course but you have one gift year as you said. I had the same issue.

So your second course can be as long as you like but if you drop our again they won't pay for another course.
    Dope. Did not know this, year abroad here I come

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dan_211)
    Dope. Did not know this, year abroad here I come
    Thats exactly what I'm doing too

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.