Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

I really don't like uni, don't know what to do Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

I've been at uni for just over a month now and it's just not gotten better. My flat are fine I suppose but they all get on really well and are constantly together, whereas when I walk into the kitchen I just say hi and don't speak to them. We have nothing in common. I've just not really made any friends and being here is actually depressing. I struggle with mental health problems which have gotten so much worse since being here, my anxiety levels are through the roof and I'm panicking at least once a day. I also just find the course boring. I hated A levels. My teachers told me to press on and to go to university just because I do well. Just because I do well in something doesn't mean I enjoy it. I hate academia. But I don't know what else to do, I feel like I can't drop out now because I'd be a massive failure. I've not spoken to my family but all my friends just keep telling me to carry on with it.

I just don't know what to do. I'm truly at my wit's end and I've not been this depressed in a long time. I feel like I have no idea what I'm doing on my course, I don't understand what I'm meant to be doing. And I have no motivation to work, I never do any reading for my lectures or seminars. I don't know what I should do, I'm really suffering here.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vanderwoodsen)
    Hi,

I've been at uni for just over a month now and it's just not gotten better. My flat are fine I suppose but they all get on really well and are constantly together, whereas when I walk into the kitchen I just say hi and don't speak to them. We have nothing in common. I've just not really made any friends and being here is actually depressing. I struggle with mental health problems which have gotten so much worse since being here, my anxiety levels are through the roof and I'm panicking at least once a day. I also just find the course boring. I hated A levels. My teachers told me to press on and to go to university just because I do well. Just because I do well in something doesn't mean I enjoy it. I hate academia. But I don't know what else to do, I feel like I can't drop out now because I'd be a massive failure. I've not spoken to my family but all my friends just keep telling me to carry on with it.

I just don't know what to do. I'm truly at my wit's end and I've not been this depressed in a long time. I feel like I have no idea what I'm doing on my course, I don't understand what I'm meant to be doing. And I have no motivation to work, I never do any reading for my lectures or seminars. I don't know what I should do, I'm really suffering here.
    the point of uni is to get that degree right? if you don't like the course you're doing then you have to drop out, I see no point continuing if you'll have no motivation to do well.
    However, think of when you started, did you like the course, or even when you picked it in january-surely you had a bit of passion for the course? Maybe your depression, or loneliness, is making you feel worse about the course when in reality theres a bit of passion there? just a theory
    I would carry on until the end of semester one to make the decision however-maybe until then try making a change in ur uni life, make some friends at a club/society(easier said than done but u gotta try right), be more friendly with ur flatmates-a better mental health may improve ur uni situation for the better. perhaps I feel like im talking **** srry
    • Official TSR Representative

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vanderwoodsen)
    Hi,

Hi vanderwoodsen,

Really sorry to hear that you're not enjoying uni and are feeling anxious. Does you uni have a wellbeing service? If so, I think it would be good to contact them as soon as you can. They will be able to talk through how you're feeling and help you decide how best to move forward.

Best of luck.

Thanks,
    Heather

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.