The Student Room Group

An Inspector Calls and Romeo and Juliet - My GCSE analysis

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by mamasaywhatnow
thank you so much the detail in your Inspector Calls is fab!! just a question - did you learn ALL of those quotes for each character??

Np!

It's a bit weird, I didn't actively learn the quotes. I kinda associated the analysis with each quote so when I thought of a specific point in the exam, I would remember the quote. Only learn the quotes that you're likely to use in the exam. :smile:
These are brilliant, thank you! Any tips for English Language? It's my worst subject :frown:
Reply 42
Original post by Deliciate
I sat the GCSE 9-1 AQA English literature and English language exam last year and achieved a grade 9 in both literature and language. I'm now taking English literature for AS levels.

I just realised that I still have my powerpoints for An Inspector Calls and Romeo and Juliet from last year. Now, I spent ages on these powerpoints but since I'm no longer using them I'll share it with all of you guys. It has some juicy character analysis and it's essentially a compilation of my analysis, my class notes, Mr Salles, Mr Bruff and some critical stuff I found from the internet. Please feel free to use it as a little guide, and I hope it's useful!!! :smile:

My Inspector Calls powerpoint:
https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/1kjkKXPb90c8hdlXGZGPi80mvJ6niW-uT_9xvM5Efz1A/edit?usp=sharing

My friend's Inspector Calls powerpoints for remaining characters:
https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/1zLqkb66nTv07wX7iBQ6In9xcD9VKc9Ua4X4DsqYIzck/edit?usp=sharing
https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/1zpJuiPaIj8Ls85D777mc6l-Kbeq3dDPi0Vzg02Kzfa8/edit?usp=sharing
https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/1w1Pi37SiTA1ZIKLMDeQWpPKX3A1pkB-P1APa_jTfzoc/edit?usp=sharing

Romeo and Juliet powerpoint:
https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/15aaRlnqUu82QrayKreITa0UA9MTxRGk1XFv9T6zneUI/edit?usp=sharing

Thank you!! Did you just relate the characters to themes then?
Reply 43
Original post by Connor_H
These are brilliant, thank you! Any tips for English Language? It's my worst subject :frown:

Yeah I hated lang too :angry:

I'll just repeat what I said to someone on PM. For English language, MR SALLES, MR SALLES, MR SALLES! Literally just watch his videos for English language and you'll gain such an insight into what you need to be doing. However, I'm not the best person to ask about English language, I honestly winged both my English lang exams. What I did the day before was just compile some sophisticated vocabulary on Quizlet and learned some to improve the sophistication of my writing. I also wrote a little fictional story to which I could just mould to the question that I got on the exam!

Original post by The_MCK
Thank you!! Did you just relate the characters to themes then?

Yeah that's how I like to revise English because it pretty much allows you to answer any thematic question and any characterisation question with ~2x less revision! :smile:
Reply 44
Yeah I hated lang too :angry:

I'll just repeat what I said to someone on PM. For English language, MR SALLES, MR SALLES, MR SALLES! Literally just watch his videos for English language and you'll gain such an insight into what you need to be doing. However, I'm not the best person to ask about English language, I honestly winged both my English lang exams. What I did the day before was just compile some sophisticated vocabulary on Quizlet and learned some to improve the sophistication of my writing. I also wrote a little fictional story to which I could just mould to the question that I got on the exam!

Yeah that's how I like to revise English because it pretty much allows you to answer any thematic question and any characterisation question with ~2x less revision! :smile:

A lot of effort put into these notes - many thanks. Being cheeky, did you make, for example, analysis of 5 key quotes for each character?
HEYY...thanks so much for the additional notes..i genuinely feel touched by your kindnesss...I appreciate them more than youll ever know.. I was wondering if you had notes on any additional romeo and Juliet characters/themes? it would be a massive help.
Thanks so much - I have my exams in a little over a month
Reply 47
Original post by Cristian Winn
Thanks so much - I have my exams in a little over a month

No problem! I also have my exams in a little over a month. Good luck my friend, you've got this! :smile:
Thank you, you too :smile:
TO ALL THOSE PEOPLE ACHIEVING TOP GRADES IN ENGLISH, WILL YOU PLEASE HELP OUT BECAUSE I NEED HELP AND ID BE APPRECIATED, IVE TRIED LOTS OF THINGS TO IMPROVE MY GRADE 3 BUT NOTHING SEEMS TO BE WORKING AND MY ENGLISH LANG EXAM IS IN 56 DAYS, AND MY TARGET, BELIEVE IT OR NOT IS A 7
ps sorry for the caps, urgent help :smile:
Reply 50
Original post by wheresmunchkin
TO ALL THOSE PEOPLE ACHIEVING TOP GRADES IN ENGLISH, WILL YOU PLEASE HELP OUT BECAUSE I NEED HELP AND ID BE APPRECIATED, IVE TRIED LOTS OF THINGS TO IMPROVE MY GRADE 3 BUT NOTHING SEEMS TO BE WORKING AND MY ENGLISH LANG EXAM IS IN 56 DAYS, AND MY TARGET, BELIEVE IT OR NOT IS A 7
ps sorry for the caps, urgent help :smile:

Ok calm down buddy :biggrin:

Why not try speaking to your English teacher/s? They are readily available for a reason, so utilise them! :wink: And don't stress, there's no point wasting valuable energy (that could go into studying) at this point of the year. There's still time to improve your grade.
Ok calm down buddy :biggrin:

Why not try speaking to your English teacher/s? They are readily available for a reason, so utilise them! :wink: And don't stress, there's no point wasting valuable energy (that could go into studying) at this point of the year. There's still time to improve your grade.

you think so?, ive tried literally everything tbh, apart from past papers😭
Reply 52
you think so?, ive tried literally everything tbh, apart from past papers😭

In my opinion past papers are overrated for English and far too time consuming. If you do a lot of in class mocks then I don't think you need to be doing tons of extra past papers. I'm sure you've heard this before but forming essay plans are far more useful and time efficient.
In my opinion past papers are overrated for English and far too time consuming. If you do a lot of in class mocks then I don't think you need to be doing tons of extra past papers. I'm sure you've heard this before but forming essay plans are far more useful and time efficient.

but what about for english language?
Reply 54
but what about for english language?

I think I've posted a little about English lang on this thread, scroll up. :smile:

Additionally, I think that through analysing quotes in English literature it'll help your intuition in English lang. Don't treat English literature and language as two separate subjects, through revising lit you're indirectly revising lang. It makes sense if you think about it that often people get similar grades in English literature and language (or should get similar grades anyway).
Reply 55
I think I've posted a little about English lang on this thread, scroll up. :smile:

Additionally, I think that through analysing quotes in English literature it'll help your intuition in English lang. Don't treat English literature and language as two separate subjects, through revising lit you're indirectly revising lang. It makes sense if you think about it that often people get similar grades in English literature and language (or should get similar grades anyway).

How do you make up a good story for english? I could never come up with a good one for creative writing section.
OMG! ,y GCSEs start in 20 days and I’ve been stressing! Thankyou so much for these resources x
I sat the GCSE 9-1 AQA English literature and English language exam last year and achieved a grade 9 in both literature and language. I'm now taking English literature for AS levels.

I just realised that I still have my powerpoints for An Inspector Calls and Romeo and Juliet from last year. Now, I spent ages on these powerpoints but since I'm no longer using them I'll share it with all of you guys. It has some juicy character analysis and it's essentially a compilation of my analysis, my class notes, Mr Salles, Mr Bruff and some critical stuff I found from the internet. Please feel free to use it as a little guide, and I hope it's useful!!! :smile:

My Inspector Calls powerpoint:
https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/1kjkKXPb90c8hdlXGZGPi80mvJ6niW-uT_9xvM5Efz1A/edit?usp=sharing

My friend's Inspector Calls powerpoints for remaining characters:
https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/1zLqkb66nTv07wX7iBQ6In9xcD9VKc9Ua4X4DsqYIzck/edit?usp=sharing
https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/1zpJuiPaIj8Ls85D777mc6l-Kbeq3dDPi0Vzg02Kzfa8/edit?usp=sharing
https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/1w1Pi37SiTA1ZIKLMDeQWpPKX3A1pkB-P1APa_jTfzoc/edit?usp=sharing

Romeo and Juliet powerpoint:
https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/15aaRlnqUu82QrayKreITa0UA9MTxRGk1XFv9T6zneUI/edit?usp=sharing

You seem that ur amazing in English and currently I’m in year 11 I need extreme help what are they hey things that will get a grade 8/9 on an English lit paper any examples? Ty any advice aswell for the exams coming up
THANKYOU sooo much for the romeo and Juliet power point its literally saved my grade, i was wondering if you have anymore on any of the other characters in the play if you do that would be really helpful as well but thank you again
Reply 59
Hi guys. Thank you all very much for your kind comments regarding the powerpoints. I'm afraid that I will probably not be able to reply / PM any more people seeking advice or tips as I am very busy myself with my AS subjects :frown: / failing ahhhh I'm just kidding (I'm not) :biggrin:.

I wish you all luck in your GCSEs, particularly English literature and language. I know the exams seem daunting but you will get through them. I can guarantee that the most important 'revision' technique for English is believing in your analysis and essay thus making your examiner believe what you are saying. It's very easy to tell when someone is unconfident in themselves as it's often reflected in their writing.

GOOD LUCK, GOOD LUCK, GOOD LUCK! :-))))

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending