How to get out of CAMHS ?

Watch
Mila787
Badges: 5
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
I was referred to CAMHS for being hospitalised due to an Eating Disorder every
person I've seen has spoken to me like I'm an alien or a statistic ! I hate whenever i
try and disagree about something from my treatment plan or say things are going
to quickly they say 'that's the ED talking' all they care about is me reaching my
weight goal and I said I didn't want to be with them anymore they said well when
you've reached your weight target you can go ! they are so friendly with my parents
whenever I try and say something they do is not right or triggers me they just say
that im being ungrateful as their so lovely ! And they tell my parents everything !!
I even flagged that up with them and said cos im under 18 they have to even though I've read their confidentiality policy !I really want to drop them but no ones letting me and I feel so miserable whenever I come out of there and feel like I'm not anything to them and they treat me like a baby ! Does anyone know how to get out of them ?!
silverflowers
Badges: 13
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Mila787)
person I've seen has spoken to me like I'm an alien or a statistic ! I hate whenever i
to quickly they say 'that's the ED talking' all they care about is me reaching my
weight goal and I said I didn't want to be with them anymore they said well when
you've reached your weight target you can go ! they are so friendly with my parents
whenever I try and say something they do is not right or triggers me they just say
that im being ungrateful as their so lovely ! And they tell my parents everything !!
I even flagged that up with them and said cos im under 18 they have to even though I've read their confidentiality policy !I really want to drop them but no ones letting me and I feel so miserable whenever I come out of there and feel like I'm not anything to them and they treat me like a baby ! Does anyone know how to get out of them ?!
Because you're struggling with an ED, it's very unlikely CAMHS will just let you go, but you could speak to them about what is frustrating you. You could bring a list to the session and print off the confidentiality policy and outline to them where they're not following it - it's their job to adhere to that. It's only fair that they shouldn't patronise you, so try and ask to be more in control of your treatment, not your parents, and say you feel you're being treated like a child because you have an ED, and that's not fair.
XxM3GxX
Badges: 11
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
Hi, I know it's a bit late!

I didn't suffer from an ED however I was referred to CAMHS 3 times due to my severe anxiety and panic attacks. However the last time I walked out and said to my mum that I would never ever go back there again. They treated me like I was on another planet and blamed my issues on my mother and her illness which she couldn't help. This infuriated me. The last lady I saw told me that when I feel anxious (bare in mind this is all the time) that I should walk round saying 'shut the door' out loud when I had waves of anxiety. I personally felt insulted, if I done what she had told me to do I'd look like a lunatic. That was my final straw, she never wanted to find the root cause of all this, she wanted to pass the blame onto my family and give me absurd 'tips' that would help me become better. I went out of my appointment and sat in the car with my mum in absolute tears and told her not to make me go back. And she didn't. I have gotten better as I'm now in secondary school and have so much support from the school and my family.

I fully support starburstgirl, they are there to help you but not patronise you. Maybe also talk with your parents and express how you feel and hopefully try and get them in your corner! Wish you the best!
Anonymous #1
Report 2 years ago
I can relate to this far too much. They don’t treat u like a person all they care about is getting to that weight so they can receive their pay check. Last time I was their I stood up for my self and even tho it appears to take a step back I made massive progressive with me taking control of my life cause I was telling them, not them telling me. So my advice if ur mam dosent want u out stand up for urself demand change.
Charlotte8888
Badges: 1
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
I have just recently been referred to CAMHS for being hospitalised for and ED and the women I have is the most pathetic patronising person ever! Whenever I say that something’s too hard or too much of a trigger she just shuts me down so I basically have no say in anything. All she does is talk to my mum while I’m there and then speaks to me like I’m a baby and is now making my mum treat me like I’m 2 years old! All she cares about is my target weight and I swear if she changes it and makes me gain more I’m gonna scream. I hate it please if someone can help me get out of this it would be much appreciated
xxxmizaxxx
Badges: 1
Rep:
Report 7 months ago
did u ever get out of it? if so please tell how
Mila787
Rep:
Report Thread starter 7 months ago
Yes I did, I’m now 18 turning 19 in a few weeks. I got discharged in the July 2018, but from March was only seeing them once a month. They were really bad I was severely depressed and was believing and hearing things that weren’t true and there, but they didn’t care at all and did nothing even my parents agreed 😂. I got referred though cos my Ed never went away cos I didn’t get correct treatment so I didn’t want to change, so was struggling for another 1.5 years then got refereed 6 months before I turned 18, the lady I had this time was so much better and had more experience in working w Ed’s however I was discharged on my 18 th birthday and adults dropped me after phoning me once 😂. I found out that I most likely have Aspergers and why I’ve struggled my whole life so currently on a ridiculous waiting list for that ! And whilst I still struggle w my Ed I’m a lot better than I was and am currently finishing my 1st year of uni on children’s nursing and on the ward atm I’m helping w people who have Ed’s and other mental health issues too on my current placement on a general ward alongside other physical conditions.
username5743413
Badges: 10
Rep:
Report 5 months ago
See

Yes I did, I’m now 18 turning 19 in a few weeks. I got discharged in the July 2018, but from March was only seeing them once a month. They were really bad I was severely depressed and was believing and hearing things that weren’t true and there, but they didn’t care at all and did nothing even my parents agreed 😂. I got referred though cos my Ed never went away cos I didn’t get correct treatment so I didn’t want to change, so was struggling for another 1.5 years then got refereed 6 months before I turned 18, the lady I had this time was so much better and had more experience in working w Ed’s however I was discharged on my 18 th birthday and adults dropped me after phoning me once 😂. I found out that I most likely have Aspergers and why I’ve struggled my whole life so currently on a ridiculous waiting list for that ! And whilst I still struggle w my Ed I’m a lot better than I was and am currently finishing my 1st year of uni on children’s nursing and on the ward atm I’m helping w people who have Ed’s and other mental health issues too on my current placement on a general ward alongside other physical conditions.
Did u reach ur target weight??
username5743413
Rep:
Report 5 months ago
How did u get referred again did you go to the gp again?
Mila787
Rep:
Report Thread starter 5 months ago
(Original post by HypeHouse)
How did u get referred again did you go to the gp again?
Yes my mum took me to the GP again and i yes we made a new target weight for me not like a BMI of 21 that I’d be v uncomfortable w like last time, I had to have had my period at be 2kgs above that (cos weight fluctuates) and it turned out that I didn’t stress so much and since it was a more gradual process I’m higher than that
now and more comfortable w my weight
username5743413
Rep:
Report 5 months ago
Yes my mum took me to the GP again and i yes we made a new target weight for me not like a BMI of 21 that I’d be v uncomfortable w like last time, I had to have had my period at be 2kgs above that (cos weight fluctuates) and it turned out that I didn’t stress so much and since it was a more gradual process I’m higher than that
Oh, I’m sad now because I use to be so skinny before my eating disorder and it did ye even see it now I’m fat the highest weight I’ve ever been I want to be discharged I don’t wanna go I’m crying so much because my whole life is ruined because of this THIS STUPID THING I HATE MYSELF
username5743413
Rep:
Report 5 months ago
I wish they made my target weight a bmi of 21
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

When did you submit your Ucas application if you applied to go to university this year?

September 2021 (18)
7.29%
October 2021 (117)
47.37%
November 2021 (25)
10.12%
December 2021 (32)
12.96%
January 2021 (21)
8.5%
I still haven't submitted it yet! (26)
10.53%