Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Can somebody help me witg this physics a level question? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Name:  image.jpg
Views: 8
Size:  499.6 KBI know it may seem simple but i cant gey the right answer for question 3a). How would you find the charge?
    • TSR Support Team
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yacinesen)
    Name:  image.jpg
Views: 8
Size:  499.6 KBI know it may seem simple but i cant gey the right answer for question 3a). How would you find the charge?
    It has lost 2 electrons, therefore it has lost the charge of 2 electrons. What is the charge on an electron?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Protostar)
    It has lost 2 electrons, therefore it has lost the charge of 2 electrons. What is the charge on an electron?
    -1.60*10^-19
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    -1.60*10^-19
    Yep - so this atom, that started off with no charge, has lost 2 electrons. So it’s lost 2 lots of -1.60 x 10-19C. Can you work it out from here?

ReputationRep:
    TName:  D52B3D87-468A-4097-B804-14C10A0FECC9.jpg.jpeg
Views: 11
Size:  14.1 KB

This is the answer i got before but its wrong. Im doing it wrong right?
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TName:  D52B3D87-468A-4097-B804-14C10A0FECC9.jpg.jpeg
Views: 11
Size:  14.1 KB

This is the answer i got before but its wrong. Im doing it wrong right?
    Think of it this way - in an atom, the number of protons = the number of electrons, and protons and electrons have equal but opposite charges. This means the resultant charge of an atom is 0, atoms are neutral.

As two electrons have been lost, this means that there are 2 more protons than electrons in the atom, so it is now an ion. Therefore the charge of this ion is the same as the charge on 2 protons (the same as the charge on 2 electrons, except positive as the atom has lost negative charge)

Does this make sense?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Protostar)
    Think of it this way - in an atom, the number of protons = the number of electrons, and protons and electrons have equal but opposite charges. This means the resultant charge of an atom is 0, atoms are neutral.

As two electrons have been lost, this means that there are 2 more protons than electrons in the atom, so it is now an ion. Therefore the charge of this ion is the same as the charge on 2 protons (the same as the charge on 2 electrons, except positive as the atom has lost negative charge)

Does this make sense?
    Yeh makes perfect sense and now I understand. Thanks for your help and time!!
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Yeh makes perfect sense and now I understand. Thanks for your help and time!!
    Awesome! No problem

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.