Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

I've been seeing this girl for a few months. We don't have that much in common but she is amazing and is wife material. Should I continue seeing her even though we're not that similar??

bump

ReputationRep:
    Sometimes it's nice to not have a lot in common. If you had everything in common it would be boring! If you like her and get on with her, what's the problem?

ReputationRep:
    nobody cares

ReputationRep:
    can she cook?

ReputationRep:
    Wife material. What does that mean to you and are you old enough that that should be a realistic consideration at this point?

There, of course, is the saying that opposites attract and this seems to be the case for you. In order for any relationship to work you need to first and foremost have mutual respect for each other and for your differences. Encourage and actively support whatever activity she likes that might not be your favorite and she should be supportive of your interests in return. Do you two have meaningful conversations? Do you have good communication with each other.

No, you don't have to have all the same interests or even much in common to make a relationship workout; but you do have to be interested in the other person and respectful that you are different and actively support each other. For example you may like sailing and she doesn't care for that activity but she should be happy for your enthusiasm in the sport. Perhaps she's interested in politics well you need to be at least respectful to her views even if they are not your own and you should be able to have calm meaning conversation about each of your opinions. The list of similarities and differences can go on an on but just support each other.

Now, as for 'wife material' I hope you don't mean 'mom material' - aka: she'll clean and cook for me. In that case please don't waste her time and hire a housekeeper.

Good luck!

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 23, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.