The Student Room Group

URGENT: Gaining weight

Looking to start getting big as I am quite a skinny guy for my age - 17 year old and weigh about 52kg.
I've been reading about supplements and found 'Optimum Nutrition Serious Mass' to be a good one for weight gainers......1250 calories per serving/shake.
Can someone please tell me when I should take this, clearly? Everyday? Workout days only? And when in the day?
Also, would it be bad if I had 2 servings of this in a day (so, 2,500 calories) as well as have meals.....since I want to get big fast
Thanks
Original post by abcstudent23
Looking to start getting big as I am quite a skinny guy for my age - 17 year old and weigh about 52kg.
I've been reading about supplements and found 'Optimum Nutrition Serious Mass' to be a good one for weight gainers......1250 calories per serving/shake.
Can someone please tell me when I should take this, clearly? Everyday? Workout days only? And when in the day?
Also, would it be bad if I had 2 servings of this in a day (so, 2,500 calories) as well as have meals.....since I want to get big fast
Thanks

By the way, 1 serving is 2 scoops. (2 scoops = 1250 calories)
Original post by jasminenctang
Hiya,

Diet: Don't change your diet immediately to eating hardly anything or replacing meals with drinks because your body needs time to adapt and you won't find this effective otherwise. Gradually decrease your portion sizes for each meal over several weeks, eventually you will be eating less. Reduce on snacking if this is one of your bad habits.

Another tip is to drink plenty of water! You should drink a glass of water before each meal so you won't be eating as much food per meal. You should be drinking 8 glasses of water a day really. You will definitely find yourself needing to go to the toilet often but your body will get used to a regular drinking routine and will adapt to this.

Exercises: Depends what type of exercise you want to do and how often too. I suggest starting by doing any form of exercise for at least an hour for 3 times a week, once you feel ready, you can increase your work out time period and also how often you do this a week. Going to the gym, going for a run or swim are perfect ways to do this.

You must be motivated to do this!

Keep busy! If you find yourself eating while watching TV or doing homework, take up some new hobbies that will keep you occupied and you will not seek for food.

The main aim is to get your body used to eating less.

I really hope this helps! :smile:

Get used to eating less? I wan't to gain weight.......
Do you mean you want to gain muscle?
Thanks

how much of that shake is protein- no point drinking it if its majority sugar-youll just become fat
Do you mean you want to gain muscle?

Yeah
Original post by angrypoliceman
how much of that shake is protein- no point drinking it if its majority sugar-youll just become fat

I will also be starting gym

If you know any workout plans that would be good or could guide me, that would be really helpful!
If it is gaining muscle that you want, I actually would avoid those sugar drinks. I would go to the gym more often and really push yourself! Eventually you will get more muscle, and because of this intense exercise you'll be doing, you'll actually eat more too and it wouldn't matter as much what you eat as you need it as energy for exercise later on.

Have you tried googling this or asking your local gym for a workout timetable to follow, as this can help and you can edit it however to suit yourself.

Yeah
Original post by angrypoliceman
**** dude, youll be going bankrupt
anything for the gains I guess :biggrin:

Please explain why you think that....:biggrin:
If it is gaining muscle that you want, I actually would avoid those sugar drinks. I would go to the gym more often and really push yourself! Eventually you will get more muscle, and because of this intense exercise you'll be doing, you'll actually eat more too and it wouldn't matter as much what you eat as you need it as energy for exercise later on.

Have you tried googling this or asking your local gym for a workout timetable to follow, as this can help and you can edit it however to suit yourself.

I have googled it but my paranoia has me asking quetions on questions lol.
I will also be starting gym

If you know any workout plans that would be good or could guide me, that would be really helpful!

as a beginner you can just follow any old video on youtube and it'll work, virgin gains are nice.
stick to one body type per day
full range of motion
make sure you have the technique down before going heavy on any compound lifts-you can ask anyone working at the gym to see if youre doing it right/tutorial vids on youtube
I have googled it but my paranoia has me asking quetions on questions lol.

Best bet is to find someone to give you advice ideally from a gym and who can help you make sure you are doing your exercises correctly as well as if you're doing the right thing, dependent on your experience as a beginner, intermediate etc

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending