Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi! I started a children's nursing degree at 18 years old and left after my first year, I passed the year with a high 2.1 but due to financial issues and health issues I could not carry on. I took up a job in a special needs school and I'm now a senior LSA and in the 2nd year of a 4 year degree in Applied Education Studies. I'm really enjoying the degree and the job is great, at the end of my degree I would like to go back into nursing. I will be 24 by then, a lot older and wiser than I was at 18, my health issues are under control and I'm in a much more financially stable place than I was back then. How competitive are PgDip programmes in children's nursing and what is the likelihood of me getting in with my background? Thanks.
    • TSR Support Team
    • PS Reviewer
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Charlottehall96)
    Hi! I started a children's nursing degree at 18 years old and left after my first year, I passed the year with a high 2.1 but due to financial issues and health issues I could not carry on. I took up a job in a special needs school and I'm now a senior LSA and in the 2nd year of a 4 year degree in Applied Education Studies. I'm really enjoying the degree and the job is great, at the end of my degree I would like to go back into nursing. I will be 24 by then, a lot older and wiser than I was at 18, my health issues are under control and I'm in a much more financially stable place than I was back then. How competitive are PgDip programmes in children's nursing and what is the likelihood of me getting in with my background? Thanks.
    Postgraduate nursing requries a high number of hours in clinical practice. I think it would be worth looking into whether your current job would be considered relevant hours. As far as I am aware, it would not be considered, although most universities will consider mature applicants on an individual basis. An email enquiry to a few different universities should clarify this for you.

Otherwise, you may need to look at an undergraduate level nursing degree. The only difference between the two is that the undergrad degree is slightly longer to account for the clinical hours needed to apply for registration with the NMC. You would need to check the entry requirements to determine whether you met the academic requirements too. I can't see any issues with you meeting the recent study requirements.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Charlotte's Web)
    Postgraduate nursing requries a high number of hours in clinical practice. I think it would be worth looking into whether your current job would be considered relevant hours. As far as I am aware, it would not be considered, although most universities will consider mature applicants on an individual basis. An email enquiry to a few different universities should clarify this for you.

Otherwise, you may need to look at an undergraduate level nursing degree. The only difference between the two is that the undergrad degree is slightly longer to account for the clinical hours needed to apply for registration with the NMC. You would need to check the entry requirements to determine whether you met the academic requirements too. I can't see any issues with you meeting the recent study requirements.
    Hi, thank you for your response! As my clinical practice hours from nursing (626 hours) will fall within the last 5 years and I have around 100 hours from a job in social care, the universities I am looking at for PgDip nursing say I will be fine on the work experience front. Thank you so much for your help

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.