Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi,I started studying at Durham about 3 weeks ago. I always was essentially told uni as a natural step after school. I want to start my own business and am worried that in 3 years my business model may already exist or its simply a waste of 3 years. On the other hand I accept I'm at a prestigious university and getting a economics and politics degree is attractive to employers. Thus if I do not succeed in business I have something to fall back on, despite my heart not being in it. Any advice would be greatly appreciatedThank you

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CPIR)
    Hi,I started studying at Durham about 3 weeks ago. I always was essentially told uni as a natural step after school. I want to start my own business and am worried that in 3 years my business model may already exist or its simply a waste of 3 years. On the other hand I accept I'm at a prestigious university and getting a economics and politics degree is attractive to employers. Thus if I do not succeed in business I have something to fall back on, despite my heart not being in it. Any advice would be greatly appreciatedThank you
    uni is always gonna be there
    starting a business is gonna take ur 100%-maybe drop out at the end of year 1 so u can go from year two if u plan to return

ReputationRep:
    Wow! Things to consider. 1) how developed is your business idea? Is it just an idea or a well thought out project? 2) can you develop your plan (business model, market details, financial plan), while completing your first year? 3) take soundings from others - would a bank support you, who would fund it? 4) Do you need to work on this full time? 5) Will family support you - if they will, its easier, if they are opposed, it will be harder. 5) are you sure this isn’t just arising from the upheaval of leaving home, which will settle in time. 6) would the uni let you defer, perhaps after the first year. 7) check the implications on student finance of leaving now or later. You would be walking away from a course you’ve worked hard to get onto, so just think it through carefully before deciding. Good luck.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.