Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

I don't know how to make a photography portfolio Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I'm a sixth form student applying for photography courses at university and I have started on my portfolio for the application. What I am not sure about is how it should be presented. I know I should have a digital/online version, which I will be doing soon, but for the interviews, a physical version is required.

- Should I be putting my photos in a sketchbook and using glue to stick them in?
    - How big should they be printed?
    - How much annotation will be needed?
    - Should I get them printed in a professional photo book?
    - Do I get a big photo album and slot the photos in the plastic sleeves?

Also, I spoke to someone at Sheffield Hallam University at an open day. She told me she would like to see the photos that i'm most proud of/most successful etc, printed bigger.

- Do I get those ones printed just as big photos? or do I get them printed onto a canvas/aluminium/acrylic etc?
    - How do i bring them in? A big plastic folder?

Someone please give me some advice! My sixth form is pretty much useless with this stuff. Thanks!
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jaaaaaade)
    I'm a sixth form student applying for photography courses at university and I have started on my portfolio for the application. What I am not sure about is how it should be presented. I know I should have a digital/online version, which I will be doing soon, but for the interviews, a physical version is required.

- Should I be putting my photos in a sketchbook and using glue to stick them in?

Also, I spoke to someone at Sheffield Hallam University at an open day. She told me she would like to see the photos that i'm most proud of/most successful etc, printed bigger.

- Do I get those ones printed just as big photos? or do I get them printed onto a canvas/aluminium/acrylic etc?

Someone please give me some advice! My sixth form is pretty much useless with this stuff. Thanks!
    A lot of professional photographers use a photobook for a portfolio - that doesn't really work for university applications because you may want to change the contents/layout for each interview.

Make sure you've read the portfolio guidelines for the unviersities you're applying to - make a note of what they all ask for so you can refer back to it.

HOW you present it will depend entirely up to you. Many people simply print and mount their favourite photos on board and keep the boards together in a folder. That's quite good as you can add annotations either to the board or to the back of the board - and you can adjust which photographs/collections to include and change the order to meet the requirements of different universities (or even just to add in new work/take out things you no longer like). You could easily use A3 boards with photos that are A4 size without it becoming too faffy to hold/talk about. Some people add some holes and use treasury tags or similar to turn their boards into an ordered book.

In addition some sort of sketchbook/development work is usually well received or even specially requested. http://www.studentartguide.com/artic...etchbook-ideas has some ideas/examples that might help you to present your work in this way.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PQ)
    A lot of professional photographers use a photobook for a portfolio - that doesn't really work for university applications because you may want to change the contents/layout for each interview.

Make sure you've read the portfolio guidelines for the unviersities you're applying to - make a note of what they all ask for so you can refer back to it.

HOW you present it will depend entirely up to you. Many people simply print and mount their favourite photos on board and keep the boards together in a folder. That's quite good as you can add annotations either to the board or to the back of the board - and you can adjust which photographs/collections to include and change the order to meet the requirements of different universities (or even just to add in new work/take out things you no longer like). You could easily use A3 boards with photos that are A4 size without it becoming too faffy to hold/talk about. Some people add some holes and use treasury tags or similar to turn their boards into an ordered book.

In addition some sort of sketchbook/development work is usually well received or even specially requested. http://www.studentartguide.com/artic...etchbook-ideas has some ideas/examples that might help you to present your work in this way.
    Thank You! This really helped.
    Also by boards, do you mean foam boards?
    • Official TSR Representative

ReputationRep:

Hi Jaaaaaade,

It's really great that you started thinking about portfolio already. Depending on where you apply the requirements will be different but for a photography portfolio I think A3 size will be fine. They want to see your work and your passion for the course as well as the industry. I would recommend bringing them in a folio just because it would be easier for you to change the sequence or change pieces in and out for different interviews. You should provide a bit of annotation but remember you will also have a chance to speak about your work as well so don't make it to text heavy. Some interviewers will ask you to choose one piece you really like and talk about it so include work that you are able to talk about which also show your skills.

Here at Ravensbourne offer showreel and portfolio workshops for free if you would like to attend them. They will help you get a better idea of what needs to be included and how to prepare for your interview. You will be getting feedback from professional tutors to help you with your interview. We are located in London so if you are able to come to one I would highly recommend it. We also offer them during our open days so please feel free to come to one those. You will also get to talk to tutors and look at other students work during the open. We also offer a BA Photography course if you would like to see more information on it.

I hope this has helped and if you have any questions please feel free to ask.

Row
    • Official TSR Representative

ReputationRep:

Hi Jaaaaaaade

Sorry for the late response I got in touch with the course leader for you and here is her response :

'It is great to see that you are interested in studying photography and are thinking about your portfolio. We would definitely not recommend spending lots of money on framing or mounting, so perhaps just some good quality photographic paper (no foam board required!). It is a good idea to use a plain black portfolio case or archival box to store and present your work (use separate sleeves to keep the work protected). These normally come in different sizes - but we would prefer A3 or A2.

Make sure that you edit your portfolio so that you don't bring everything you have ever done (this could be difficult to carry!) We want you to feel confident in talking about your work so definitely choose things that you are proud of- we may ask you to choose one or two images to discuss in more detail. Also bring an example of sketchbook/research file -we want to see you engaging with other photographic work/exhibitions/written texts (for example), as well as your own project development and reflection.

The interview is an opportunity to get to know you and to find out what motivates and interests you (inside and outside of photography -so perhaps what you are binge watching on Netflix, or what book you are currently reading). We are looking for applicants who are committed to studying photography at higher education - who want to take risks and experiment, and who are able to critically engage with images and the world around them.

So...whilst your portfolio is important, what you have to say is as important and interesting to us.

Best of Luck!'

Let me know if you want to know more information,

Reanne

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.