Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Is it normal to go from a high GCSE grade to a lower A level grade in year 12? Watch

ReputationRep:
    I used to get A/A* at the beining of year 10 and that’s what my GCSEs were but at the beginning ng of year 12 I’m getting Bs and Cs

ReputationRep:
    Very normal. After more practice and after you've got used to how things are now set out (I.e. New exam papers) you will likely improve.
    Best of luck!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jess_1230)
    I used to get A/A* at the beining of year 10 and that’s what my GCSEs were but at the beginning ng of year 12 I’m getting Bs and Cs
    Yes, it's pretty normal as there is a big jump from GCSE-AS. Just keep on top of your work and keep revising (smart not hard) and you should see an improvement in your grades. It may take time btw, it took me pretty much all of AS to get used to a new system and you may find A2 "easier" in this respect.

ReputationRep:
    That's normal. Once you get used to the new courses, you should be back up to your usual standard.

ReputationRep:
    yeah u gotta work hard to get A*'s at A-Level which sucks if ur lazy like me

ReputationRep:
    It's normal, I started off in Geography with Ds, ended up with an A in the actual AS exam. Started off Chemistry with a C, have an A* prediction now, HOWEVER, you need to make sure you revise effectively lol, make sure you identify where you went wrong, whether that be not understanding things correctly or not answering in enough detail or not knowing what the mark scheme is looking for, by going through your bad exams, with teachers if needed.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mosam00)
    It's normal, I started off in Geography with Ds, ended up with an A in the actual AS exam. Started off Chemistry with a C, have an A* prediction now, HOWEVER, you need to make sure you revise effectively lol, make sure you identify where you went wrong, whether that be not understanding things correctly or not answering in enough detail or not knowing what the mark scheme is looking for, by going through your bad exams, with teachers if needed.
    thank you ill try to look at my exams and see what I did wrong

ReputationRep:
    Very normal. Got a D in half term exams and then got an A in the AS exams

ReputationRep:
    Very normal. When I did GCSE history was my best subject and the one subject I got an A in. Flash forward to A Level it became my worst subject and I only just passed it with a D. A Levels are a completely different way of learning to GCSE and you find that sometimes because of this subjects you excelled in during GCSE you find much harder now and vice versa.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    At this stage in year 12, Bs and Cs are excellent. They're pretty good grades to have at the end of year 13 anyway. We've been told to not expect anything much higher than a D or an E for awhile as we get used to the new writing, working and exam styles. You will improve though and Bs and Cs are by no means something to be ashamed of.

ReputationRep:
    Don't worry, it's normal and by normal standards at this point Bs and Cs are very good. There was a guy in my year who got a D in our very first biology exam but ended up with an an A at AS and A* at the end of year 13. Yes there will be a small amount of people who may get straight As right from the beginning but that's not very common - this coming from my personal experience.

ReputationRep:
    Completely normal. I went from an A* in GCSE Spanish to a low C at the beginning of Year 12 but now I'm a month into Year 13 and I'm back in the B/A area

It just takes a little time to get used to.
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    A-level is a huge step up and is quite hard to get used to. I got a 9 in Maths and an A with 97 marks in Additional FSMQ Maths yet I struggle at A-level maths just because it is extremely complicated. You just need to put the effort in and keep working hard.

ReputationRep:
    this time last year my working at grades were CDBD, my uni predicitons now are A*A*A, so its chill. tbh those bad grades made me work harder

ReputationRep:
    got UUC in my A2 December mocks and then A*AA in the real thing

ReputationRep:
    Its normal. In my experience, A levels are so much easier than gcse's, lot less work and stuff if you can connect well with the topics

ReputationRep:
    I have the same thing, I got 11 A*s and an A in GCSEs, but my grades are dropping a bit at A level
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    I went from A* history gcse, to C at end of AS.
    A*A* in maths and geography GCSE, had to work quite consistently for both at a levels for the AA. it's normal, once you get to year 13, you'll feel behind again because there's so much but since it's nearing Christmas now, I feel like everything will fall into place again.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah that happens a lot. I was similar at GCSE I got A*/A grades. Then at the beginning of year 12 I was down to B and C grades, things did pick up eventually and in the end I got A grades in my final AS. It is just the "jump" from GCSE to AS can be challenging. You will find the mark schemes at A level are a lot stricter and seem to be harsh. Whereas at GCSE you would get the "benefit of the doubt". At A level if there is any doubt then it is wrong.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.