Turn on thread page Beta

Would you do a PhD funded in a low ranked university? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    All depends on the supervisor. I knocked back a very well respected institution for my PhD to go somewhere less prestigious but with a better supervisor. No regrets, and things are working out really well.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bear_123)
    So I got a funding to do computer science and a research of my choice. I got the option of going to higher ranked university but not sure if I get the scholarship and have to do a research of their choice. The reputation is good for the second choice but the research choices are limited.
    In the end you have to prioritise further - is your aim to get the best possible job following graduation? Or is it doing the most interesting research? You might be able to get a marketable skillset in both institutions but one might offer you more flexibility in research whereas the other might help embellish your CV and offer a more stimulating environment. If your decision to do a PhD is mainly driven by employment prospects, I would first look into what the top CS employers look for these days and try to align my research/supervisor with the skillset. True, things can change massively in 3-4 years but not so massively that hardcore coding skills become completely obsolete. Similarly, if you are a purist driven by an interest in one specific topic, the freedom to research that topic has a very high value. Having said that, being part of a top uni often opens up possibilities and ideas that can enrich your experience in unpredictable and often invaluable ways. So as is often the case in these situations, a gut feeling is as good a guide as any. Sorry if this sounds indecisive but people selling one-line solutions are selling snake oil.

PS: I have a PhD in biology, not CS.

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.