The Student Room Group

Landlord keeps using my stuff without asking

Basically I'm in second year in uni and I've moved into a house with some friends under a private landlord. He pops round every now and then to check on things etc but I've noticed that whenever he does he always uses my mugs and other things without asking?

It probably sounds petty, because overall I don't mind people using my things, but it just bothers me when people do without asking? Like I've noticed he's used other things before like taking bits of food etc and it's the fact that when he does use my mugs, he never washes them up after. He just leaves them on the side still dirty.

Idk if I'm just being petty but it just kind of annoys me because as far as I'm concerned it's a bit out of order for a landlord to come to the house of his tenants and use their things without asking. If he asked, he's more than welcome to use my mug to make a cup of tea or a coffee, but I just think it's a bit out of order for him to use things that aren't his without asking first. Like yes he owns the house, but we still live here and this food and these things still belong to us, not him. We bought them here with us when we came to live here.

I just wondered if this is just me being petty or if it's kind of justified that I'm a bit annoyed? Because I can't work out if I'm just being petty or not.
No - that's pretty weird. He doesn't own any of the mugs or the tea etc in them so he shouldn't just be helping himself. Also if he's coming in to check things are OK that should be a once in a while thing and shouldn't involve him chilling on your sofa with a coffee... That said, it may not be a battle worth fighting.
Original post by EmmaRebecca1997
Basically I'm in second year in uni and I've moved into a house with some friends under a private landlord. He pops round every now and then to check on things etc but I've noticed that whenever he does he always uses my mugs and other things without asking?

It probably sounds petty, because overall I don't mind people using my things, but it just bothers me when people do without asking? Like I've noticed he's used other things before like taking bits of food etc and it's the fact that when he does use my mugs, he never washes them up after. He just leaves them on the side still dirty.

Idk if I'm just being petty but it just kind of annoys me because as far as I'm concerned it's a bit out of order for a landlord to come to the house of his tenants and use their things without asking. If he asked, he's more than welcome to use my mug to make a cup of tea or a coffee, but I just think it's a bit out of order for him to use things that aren't his without asking first. Like yes he owns the house, but we still live here and this food and these things still belong to us, not him. We bought them here with us when we came to live here.

I just wondered if this is just me being petty or if it's kind of justified that I'm a bit annoyed? Because I can't work out if I'm just being petty or not.

Its odd. Talk to other flatmates.
Its intrusive.

There are three ways you can approach it.

1. Ask him not to- That has the potential for a fall out.
2. Move your stuff so he cnat get to it i.e put locks on the doors.
3. Buy him a cheap mug or just get some cheap ones and ask him to use those. I dont think id begrudge someone making some tea, but I would if they were rifling through my stuff. You cna dress it up as though its specially for him, but what you are doing is diverting him from your stuff.
Original post by doodle_333
No - that's pretty weird. He doesn't own any of the mugs or the tea etc in them so he shouldn't just be helping himself. Also if he's coming in to check things are OK that should be a once in a while thing and shouldn't involve him chilling on your sofa with a coffee... That said, it may not be a battle worth fighting.

That's kinda the thing. Like it annoys me and he shouldn't be doing it but it's not something I want to make a big fuss over. It's just the fact it annoys me when I come down after he's been and there's one of my mugs left dirty on the counter
Original post by 999tigger
Its odd. Talk to other flatmates.
Its intrusive.

There are three ways you can approach it.

1. Ask him not to- That has the potential for a fall out.
2. Move your stuff so he cnat get to it i.e put locks on the doors.
3. Buy him a cheap mug or just get some cheap ones and ask him to use those. I dont think id begrudge someone making some tea, but I would if they were rifling through my stuff. You cna dress it up as though its specially for him, but what you are doing is diverting him from your stuff.

I've tried to hide my mugs in the back of my cabinet so hopefully he won't do it again. My housemates never really react to it tbh like I've brought it up and they just shrug it off
I've tried to hide my mugs in the back of my cabinet so hopefully he won't do it again. My housemates never really react to it tbh like I've brought it up and they just shrug it off

So its only really bothering you. Either talk to him, buy him a mug or keep what you dont want him touching in your room or locked in your cupboard. he shouldnt be taking food. hes not going to change unless you ask him not to.

How about getting a plastic box with a lid and putting your stuff in that then sellotape a note to that which means he would have to open it.
(edited 6 years ago)
So its only really bothering you. Either talk to him, buy him a mug or keep what you dont want him touching in your room or locked in your cupboard. he shouldnt be taking food. hes not going to change unless you ask him not to.

How about getting a plastic box with a lid and putting your stuff in that then sellotape a note to that which means he would have to open it.

If he does I possibly will. It isn't like a massive issue it's just one of those annoying little things that slowly gets to you the more it happens. Like I wouldn't even mind as much if he just washed it up again and put it away it's the fact I have to clean up my own mug which he used and left
Reply 7
you should definately bring it up with your landlord
Also worth noting, the landlord should not be just "popping round" unless he gives at least 24 hours notice before each visit. You're entitled to that right under the quiet enjoyment of your home.

Tbh I understand what you mean. It's not exactly a massive issue, but it is kind of rude of him.
If he does I possibly will. It isn't like a massive issue it's just one of those annoying little things that slowly gets to you the more it happens. Like I wouldn't even mind as much if he just washed it up again and put it away it's the fact I have to clean up my own mug which he used and left

Ive given you the options and it looks like youve just chosen to do nothing and be annoyed. Up to you.
Ive given you the options and it looks like youve just chosen to do nothing and be annoyed. Up to you.

I'm not not doing anything I'm seeing if he does it again since I've moved my mugs. If he does I will probably do what you suggested with the box. I'm simply seeing first if he does it again as since the last time he did it I've moved my mugs to the back of my cupboard where they're not easily accessible and if he still uses it, that's weird because it means he's specifically using my mugs and going to an effort to use them .
Original post by SophieSmall
Also worth noting, the landlord should not be just "popping round" unless he gives at least 24 hours notice before each visit. You're entitled to that right under the quiet enjoyment of your home.

Tbh I understand what you mean. It's not exactly a massive issue, but it is kind of rude of him.

Yep I know. He sometimes gives us notice and sometimes he will just text in the morning of the day he decides to come and act as though we've all been informed he's coming round despite the fact he's never mentioned it until that text. Idk if he's forgetful or if he just doesn't understand that he's supposed to tell us. I honestly feel a lot of my housemates let stuff slide bc they like him as a person but it's like idc if he's the nicest person ever there are certain things he should do as a landlord and 90% of them he never did or never does. The fact he's nice doesn't change that.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending