The Student Room Group

As a foreigner my opinions about Brexit

As a foreigner, who thinking to settle down in the England in the future I think Brexit was a good decision for the British society. Immigration laws should be stricter in the the UK because in social media or videos that I've watched on the Youtube I've seen so many immigrants in the UK just complaining about everything. Look at the Muslims, they're escaping countries which are based on Sharia law and then they're demanding Sharia courts in the London! They're disrespecting to the British society. It's a free country but that doesn't mean you can insult that society and protest anything you want.

Multiculturalism is failed and it was a stupid idea that I've ever seen. If someone doesn't want to be assimilated then he or she should be stay with his or her glamorous culture, right ?

Western civilization and security more important than economy. With Western culture you've science, medicine, democracy, laws, formal education.. everything we need in the 21st century and in the future. With those things you can rebuild your country.

After I got my CS degree, I'll try to settle down in the England as a computer programmer and I'm sure I'll contribute that society and deserve that also I'll live just like the other British citizens. Actually, culture of British society made me excited and that's why I'm preferring to live in there.

Even so, I might be wrong about my ideas please correct me if I'm wrong.
(edited 6 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by ProgrammerC
Look at the Muslims, they're escaping countries which are based on Sharia law and then they're demanding Sharia courts in the London! They're disrespecting to the British society.

Countries that are considered to be based on the Sharia law are not in the EU. Therefore the people you are describing are not eu citizens and as a result they are subject to the same strict requirements for entering and living in the uk that any non eu citizen faces if they want to reside in the UK.

Has nothing to do with the EU.
(edited 6 years ago)
lol the main contributors to science and medicine and education have not been the West by the way but okay
I can already tell someone is going to reply with a brilliant comment stating "we're not talking about the past, we're talking about right now" and to that I say, overruling an entire culture's contributions and potential aggregate benefit based on the stereotypical notions that have been drilled into your head is at best, ignorantly dismissive and at worst, a way to justify your rejection and hatred of another way of living.
Original post by jvinmurrey
lol the main contributors to science and medicine and education have not been the West by the way but okay

The ancient greeks and the renaissance period in Europe were just made up then? Just because parts of the Arab world were advancing science and maths as well (even though they found no correlation between science and religion)

Care to expand on that? IMO, in modern times, the more developed countries have made the biggest contribution.

Religion appears to have killed progress in many countries.
Reply 6

Yes, as shown every year by the recipients of the Nobel Prize.
The British Isles are for British people. It does not matter how much you suck up to us, you are not welcome. With Brexit we will see stringent immigration laws that keep foreigners out.

Let's make Britain British again.
Original post by Genius kid
The ancient greeks and the renaissance period in Europe were just made up then? Just because parts of the Arab world were advancing science and maths as well (even though they found no correlation between science and religion)

Given the fact that advancements made by the Greeks were [sometimes] based on the findings of Ancient Egyptians, I wouldn't really feel the need to soften the force of my statement? I'm not negating Western contribution, I'm just saying that to view the West as the beacon of education and enlightenment would be an overestimation
Reply 9
Original post by ProgrammerC
As a foreigner, who thinking to settle down in the England in the future I think Brexit was a good decision for the British society. Immigration laws should be stricter in the the UK because in social media or videos that I've watched on the Youtube I've seen so many immigrants in the UK just complaining about everything. Look at the Muslims, they're escaping countries which are based on Sharia law and then they're demanding Sharia courts in the London! They're disrespecting to the British society. It's a free country but that doesn't mean you can insult that society and protest anything you want.

Multiculturilism is failed and it was a stupid idea that I've ever seen. If someone doesn't want to be assimilated then he or she should be stay with his or her glamorous culture, right ?

Western civilization and security more important than economy. With Western culture you've science, medicine, democracy, laws, formal education.. everything we need in the 21st century and in the future. With those things you can rebuild your country.

After I got my CS degree, I'll try to settle down in the England as a computer programmer and I'm sure I'll contribute that society and deserve that also I'll live just like the other British citizens. Actually, culture of British society made me excited and that's why I'm preferring to live in there.

Even so, I might be wrong about my ideas please correct me if I'm wrong.
You are definitely not wrong and it is so refreshing to hear those words from someone who was not born in the UK.

Multiculturism is an ideology which does not work in practice unless those integrating are willing to accept the culture of the host country rather than try to replace it with their own. As far as culture is concerned I am mainly talking about laws, morality and general ethics. What was acceptable 1500 years ago is definitely not acceptable in a modern society.

Personally I would accept any foreigners into the UK as long as they have something to offer, are not here to use our benefits system and are respectful to our culture.

Good luck with the degree.
I can already tell someone is going to reply with a brilliant comment stating "we're not talking about the past, we're talking about right now" and to that I say, overruling an entire culture's contributions and potential aggregate benefit based on the stereotypical notions that have been drilled into your head is at best, ignorantly dismissive and at worst, a way to justify your rejection and hatred of another way of living.

Yeah, how dare he disagree with you. We should all call him ignorant for disagreeing with a system of rules that are inhumane and oppressive as to not be "racist". I don't understand how disagreeing with Islam and sharia law is in any way ignorant or bad. You do realise that you are a massive hypocrite? It is perfectly fine to reject another way of living, especially seeing how detrimental it is to society. If you can't see this, then it's really you who is can't get rid of the stereotypical notions that have been drilled into your head, who is trying to justify a cancerous ideology, and are also trying to justify your hatred for those who disagree with you.

Seriously how does your logic even being to make sense? Oh yeah sharia law is totally fine because arabs hundreds of years ago (who aren't the same people btw) made helpful discoveries in science and maths. So by that's logic, concentration camps and experimentation on innocent Jews was okay because it advanced our scientific knowledge.

Before you call me "racist", I am an ex-muslim and I was raised as a Muslim, so don't even try and use the ignorance card on me, because I know Islam better than you do.
Original post by edd522
Yes, as shown every year by the recipients of the Nobel Prize.

because the Nobel prize is truly an accurate estimation of the most prized and beneficial members of society - thank you for reminding me, I almost forgot
Yeah, how dare he disagree with you. We should all call him ignorant for disagreeing with a system of rules that are inhumane and oppressive as to not be "racist". I don't understand how disagreeing with Islam and sharia law is in any way ignorant or bad. You do realise that you are a massive hypocrite? It is perfectly fine to reject another way of living, especially seeing how detrimental it is to society. If you can't see this, then it's really you who is can't get rid of the stereotypical notions that have been drilled into your head, who is trying to justify a cancerous ideology, and are also trying to justify your hatred for those who disagree with you.

Seriously how does your logic even being to make sense? Oh yeah sharia law is totally fine because arabs hundreds of years ago (who aren't the same people btw) made helpful discoveries in science and maths. So by that's logic, concentration camps and experimentation on innocent Jews was okay because it advanced our scientific knowledge.

Before you call me "racist", I am an ex-muslim and I was raised as a Muslim, so don't even try and use the ignorance card on me, because I know Islam better than you do.

I love how you assumed I was talking about Islam even though the word I used in my statement was "culture" and not "religion" and even though Brexit impacts people of all cultures and religions, not just Muslims?
Given the fact that advancements made by the Greeks were [sometimes] based on the findings of Ancient Egyptians, I wouldn't really feel the need to soften the force of my statement? I'm not negating Western contribution, I'm just saying that to view the West as the beacon of education and enlightenment would be an overestimation

Saying that discoveries were based on findings of other civilisations and saying that they deserve all the credit is kind of dumb, especially when most discoveries depend on the findings of other people (including the ones made by arabs, which were based on the ancient greeks and other European mathematicians/scientists at the time), also there is no way you can even start to compare ancient egypt to egypt during the Islamic era, because the fundamental ideologies were almost completely different, so yes, you should soften the force of your statement.

Also, you were totally negating western contribution by saying that most science wasn't even possible because of it. Saying one thing and saying you mean something else only makes you look bad.

Honestly, it really isn't an overestimation, but I do think that other places (mainly china/japan/India) also contributed significantly, but everything really came together in the west.
Original post by Economics Legend
The British Isles are for British people. It does not matter how much you suck up to us, you are not welcome. With Brexit we will see stringent immigration laws that keep foreigners out.

What?? Am I suck up to you ? Thankfully I have so many decent friends from England, Scotland and I've had really good conversations with them and at least they weren't disrespectful, rude person just like you.

"The British Isles are for British people" that was funny because you don't even know about your own history. Then India is for the Indians, Australia for the Aboriginal Australians, New Zealend for the Māori, America for the American Indians.... etc. I hope you'll understand what I meant here.

I won't argue with you because you can't even represent culture of British which have values such as: tolerance, free speech, full democracy, freedom of thought, education.. etc.

And remember there are plenty of Anglosphere country for me for example Canada, Australia, NZ and also U.S is cheaper than UK but nevertheless I preferred to UK because of its culture.
(edited 6 years ago)
I love how you assumed I was talking about Islam even though the word I used in my statement was "culture" and not "religion" and even though Brexit impacts people of all cultures and religions, not just Muslims?

Ha, I knew you were gonna say something like this. You do realise that religion counts as a part of culture right? Especially to muslims, as the culture of muslim countries is directly inspired by Islam itself. Also, even though you didn't explicitly say Islam, you certainly implied it. Why do you think that what you said was okay by replacing religion with culture? Can culture not be criticised? Also, I never said that brexit diddn't impact all people, I was just saying how insane your logic really is. I also love that you didn't even try to respond to a number of things that I said.
Original post by Economics Legend

Lets hope that is some really poor bait mate. What a stupid thing to say LOL. You clearly know nothing about anything and that comment alone is enough evidence to discredit anything you ever have to say.
Saying that discoveries were based on findings of other civilisations and saying that they deserve all the credit is kind of dumb, especially when most discoveries depend on the findings of other people (including the ones made by arabs, which were based on the ancient greeks and other European mathematicians/scientists at the time), also there is no way you can even start to compare ancient egypt to egypt during the Islamic era, because the fundamental ideologies were almost completely different, so yes, you should soften the force of your statement.

Also, you were totally negating western contribution by saying that most science wasn't even possible because of it. Saying one thing and saying you mean something else only makes you look bad.

Honestly, it really isn't an overestimation, but I do think that other places (mainly china/japan/India) also contributed significantly, but everything really came together in the west.

Again, you're putting words into my mouth. I didn't say that non-Western civilization deserved ALL the credit. But similarly, to say that Western civilization does when like you said, advancements at that time were interlinked and always a product of some prior discovery or step towards discovery is horribly limited. And sure, Ancient Egypt and modern Egypt are not similar in many ways but how does that pose a justifiable reason to disregard an entire nation's contribution to progression?
Ha, I knew you were gonna say something like this. You do realise that religion counts as a part of culture right? Especially to muslims, as the culture of muslim countries is directly inspired by Islam itself. Also, even though you didn't explicitly say Islam, you certainly implied it. Why do you think that what you said was okay by replacing religion with culture? Can culture not be criticised? Also, I never said that brexit diddn't impact all people, I was just saying how insane your logic really is. I also love that you didn't even try to respond to a number of things that I said.

You also do realize that culture manifests itself in completely different ways, right? And that the way in which people respond to culture is even more diverse? And on top of that, people who are religious are not suddenly incapable of making positive contributions to society and academic fields?

Why is what I said not okay? How does me saying refusing to acknowledge the contributions of all people that adhere to a specific culture is wrong even remotely similar to saying culture can't be criticized?

Yes, I have hatred against violence, conquest, pedophiles, rapists, ideologies which are disrespecting to the women and killing just somebody doesn't believe that ideology.

I won't repeat same things which are explained by @Genius kid.

Quick Reply

Latest