Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Student Finance/ Tuition Fee and leaving degree course Watch

ReputationRep:
    Help needed with Student Finance ( England).
    Degree course started in September.
    It was dreadful and not the right place .
    Last lecture attended 12th October and took decision to leave.
    Student Finance have billed for over £2250.
    Terms say after 6th October liable for 25% of the annual tuition fee.

Has anyone managed to get tuition fee charged pro rata which would seem fair?
    Can each different university choose to charge or adjust their fee in this case with discretion?
    Any information or advice would be welcome.

Thank you

NB cannot see how to post in "Student Financial Support"
    • Very Important Poster

(Original post by needing help99)
    Help needed with Student Finance ( England).
    Degree course started in September.
    It was dreadful and not the right place .
    Last lecture attended 12th October and took decision to leave.
    Student Finance have billed for over £2250.
    Terms say after 6th October liable for 25% of the annual tuition fee.

Has anyone managed to get tuition fee charged pro rata which would seem fair?
    Can each different university choose to charge or adjust their fee in this case with discretion?
    Any information or advice would be welcome.

Thank you

NB cannot see how to post in "Student Financial Support"
    The uni has discretion to charge what it wishes.

It has a policy which is what you have read. If you read it properly it will say 25% if you leave during x and y dates.

You are lucky they are not charging you £9250 i.e the whole years fees as some unis do. 25% is standard and reasonable. You should have left before if you wanted to avoid the fee. If youd posted on here and told me the uni then thats what I would have pointed out to you as i have to several others.

If your question is trying to get them to reduce the 25% fee then i dont think that will happen. You have cots them money and I think being charged for the term is fair. You dont get if you dont ask, but i expect a no.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 999tigger)
    The uni has discretion to charge what it wishes.

It has a policy which is what you have read. If you read it properly it will say 25% if you leave during x and y dates.

You are lucky they are not charging you £9250 i.e the whole years fees as some unis do. 25% is standard and reasonable. You should have left before if you wanted to avoid the fee. If youd posted on here and told me the uni then thats what I would have pointed out to you as i have to several others.

If your question is trying to get them to reduce the 25% fee then i dont think that will happen. You have cots them money and I think being charged for the term is fair. You dont get if you dont ask, but i expect a no.
    Many thanks for your reply.
    Running a course also comes with certain reasonable expectations.......
    6th October was the cutoff for zero fees, which I only now know. This was just too early in the course to have realised the standard/overall quality and to have made the decision to leave.
    I do realise that the uni has lost the income, but maybe unis in general need to look at their course dropout rates and the reasons for them.
    No one, as yet, has asked why the decision to leave has been taken, so they are clearly not that interested!

Any other replies/views would be welcome.
    In particular, has anyone managed to agree a lesser fee proportion?
    • Very Important Poster

Many thanks for your reply.
    Running a course also comes with certain reasonable expectations.......
    6th October was the cutoff for zero fees, which I only now know. This was just too early in the course to have realised the standard/overall quality and to have made the decision to leave.
    I do realise that the uni has lost the income, but maybe unis in general need to look at their course dropout rates and the reasons for them.
    No one, as yet, has asked why the decision to leave has been taken, so they are clearly not that interested!

Any other replies/views would be welcome.
    In particular, has anyone managed to agree a lesser fee proportion?
    If you feel there was some significant factor where the uni was at fault then you can make a complaint otherwise I highly doubt they will be interested. The way to do it is to make a cpr claim if you later need such funding when you go to another uni.

You missed the deadline and its in the agreement you signed. They will have a complaints procedure if you wish to take it further. All this idea about fair and negotiating is wide of the mark and not how it works. Alternatively you can go and take legal advice and sue them,

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 999tigger)
    If you feel there was some significant factor where the uni was at fault then you can make a complaint otherwise I highly doubt they will be interested. The way to do it is to make a cpr claim if you later need such funding when you go to another uni.

You missed the deadline and its in the agreement you signed. They will have a complaints procedure if you wish to take it further. All this idea about fair and negotiating is wide of the mark and not how it works. Alternatively you can go and take legal advice and sue them,
    To anyone interested in this situation....
    Despite having gone past the deadline, and despite the stated liability to 25% of the annual tuition fee, the University has been extremely helpful.
    Following my letter to them, which did not encompass any extreme personal situation, just simply a decision that this course had not worked out, they have agreed to waive all liability to any tuition fee.
    This is very welcome and I am very happy about this.
    • Very Important Poster

To anyone interested in this situation....
    Despite having gone past the deadline, and despite the stated liability to 25% of the annual tuition fee, the University has been extremely helpful.
    Following my letter to them, which did not encompass any extreme personal situation, just simply a decision that this course had not worked out, they have agreed to waive all liability to any tuition fee.
    This is very welcome and I am very happy about this.
    Well done for getting them to waive the money, but you are very lucky. You are now an adult and that means you are liable for the contract you sign. Other universities charge and pursue you for the entire years fee.

Not a chance I would suggest taking to anyone and if they have doubts then they should protect their own interests by leaving before any fees become liable or accept the consequences.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources
    Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.