Mature student Masters no transcript available

Watch
51ducklings
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Hi, I would like to apply to study for a Masters degree however an UG degree transcript is required. I contacted my university (graduated in 2001) but they said a transcript is not available. I do remember receiving my results scribbled on a piece of paper! I do of course have my degree certificate. Do you think this would be accepted in place of the transcript? I got a 2:1 in a similar subject to the Masters I'd like to do. Thanks!
threeportdrift
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by 51ducklings)
Hi, I would like to apply to study for a Masters degree however an UG degree transcript is required. I contacted my university (graduated in 2001) but they said a transcript is not available. I do remember receiving my results scribbled on a piece of paper! I do of course have my degree certificate. Do you think this would be accepted in place of the transcript? I got a 2:1 in a similar subject to the Masters I'd like to do. Thanks!
Are you sure you asked the right place in your UG Uni, because it's quite strange for them not to have a transcript for a course done in 2001? I applied for a PG course in 2003 and contacted the uni I graduated from in 1988 and they were able to send a transcript straight away ie transcripts are something a uni should have from way back. A degree certificate almost certainly won't cut it, but you can ask your applying Uni what they would do in the face of no transcript being available.
51ducklings
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
(Original post by threeportdrift)
Are you sure you asked the right place in your UG Uni, because it's quite strange for them not to have a transcript for a course done in 2001? I applied for a PG course in 2003 and contacted the uni I graduated from in 1988 and they were able to send a transcript straight away ie transcripts are something a uni should have from way back. A degree certificate almost certainly won't cut it, but you can ask your applying Uni what they would do in the face of no transcript being available.
Thanks, yes I went to the correct place but there really is no transcript available. It's a really good uni too, so I was surprised. I do have a few feedback sheets with grades from some third year essays, I suppose these might help!
threeportdrift
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by 51ducklings)
Thanks, yes I went to the correct place but there really is no transcript available. It's a really good uni too, so I was surprised. I do have a few feedback sheets with grades from some third year essays, I suppose these might help!
Hmm, then I'd contact the uni you are applying to and ask what you should do, and if they have any experience of previous applications from this uni not being able to provide a transcript. To be honest, it's a pretty fundamental request - getting a transcript from a uni is the thing that shows you really did get the degree, the degree certificate is not usually accepted as the definitive document.
Rabbit2
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hmm, then I'd contact the uni you are applying to and ask what you should do, and if they have any experience of previous applications from this uni not being able to provide a transcript. To be honest, it's a pretty fundamental request - getting a transcript from a uni is the thing that shows you really did get the degree, the degree certificate is not usually accepted as the definitive document.
I concur. I can't imagine an accredited uni not being able to produce transcripts. My undergraduate uni can produce them for me, [i've seen them] and i graduated in 1969. Are you sure that this wasn't just a 'diploma mill' - where you mail in the money & they send you a 'degree' by return mail??? One scam that is practiced is to 'steal' someone's identity, and claim you are them, and hold a certain graduate degree. Employers, and prospective employers have taken to calling the graduate uni, and asking to speak to the candidate or employee's course advisor, who over the course of the graduate degree program, {3 to 7 years} normally gets to know the student fairly well, and asking personal questions, to insure that both are talking about the same person.

One classic that i heard about [from one of my academic friends], was the employer had just about finished talking to the course advisor, when the advisor made an 'offhand' comment that he was really impressed with the employee, because he never let his handicap get in the way of his career. The employer replied: "Handicap"??? The advisor replied: "Of course.. his wheelchair! Most people would have been depressed with that, but Xxxx took it in his stride"!! Of course, the phoney employee didn't use a wheelchair at all - that was someone else. Just that little comment blew the whole thing. Best of luck!!
Sentenced_to
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by Rabbit2)
I concur. I can't imagine an accredited uni not being able to produce transcripts. My undergraduate uni can produce them for me, [i've seen them] and i graduated in 1969. Are you sure that this wasn't just a 'diploma mill' - where you mail in the money & they send you a 'degree' by return mail???
It is very possible. Also, the 'diploma mill' comment wasn't necessary at all.

A few examples:

Nottingham only provides transcripts for those who have graduated after 1988.
https://store.nottingham.ac.uk/produ...uating-pre2002

Hull, only for 2000, onwards!
https://shop.hull.ac.uk/product-cata...ent-transcript

Whoever needs a transcript for any reason and is a graduate for quite some time, should get one NOW, while they can!
Last edited by Sentenced_to; 4 months ago
chaotic1328
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
I was in the same position when I applied to read for a Master's a few years back. Some universities will insist on all the necessary documents before offering a place (I.E., no transcript, no offer, regardless of the class of degree), others will consider each case on their merits. There is no harm in asking admissions of your intended university of study what their policies are.

My situation is a bit complicated, as I graduated in 1994, just after the chaos of the expansion of the university sector and the disbanding of the CNAA which validated degrees for the polytechnics and colleges of higher education. I enrolled at a college of further and higher education in 1990 on a sandwich degree course, which was then validated by the CNAA. However, by the time of my graduation in 1994, the validation of the degree was transferred to a university due to the CNAA having been disbanded. When I applied for my transcripts in 2016 for applications for a master's course, the college said that they only keep students' records for 5 years as part of their privacy policy, and the university which validated the degree said that as the course took place at the college, they do not have records of my transcript, but can confirm the classification of my degree and the award date. Result, no transcript! Now some may want to label any institution which cannot provide transcripts for students of a bygone era as 'diploma mills', but I would advise them to engage brain before typing, otherwise they only come across as ignorant.

I forwarded the correspondence to both Durham and Newcastle stating why I cannot obtain a transcript of my studies. Durham refused to accept the explanation of both institutions and stuck to their guns; no transcript, no offer. Newcastle was more understanding, and accepted the situation was beyond my control, and made me an unconditional offer based on my degree classification only. So, my advice to you is that you should apply to more universities if you are keen on a master's, and explain why you cannot produce your undergrad transcripts. Some will be more understanding than others.

Good luck on your postgrad studies!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you travelling in the Uni student travel window (3-9 Dec) to go home for Christmas?

Yes (120)
28.1%
No - I have already returned home (57)
13.35%
No - I plan on travelling outside these dates (84)
19.67%
No - I'm staying at my term time address over Christmas (40)
9.37%
No - I live at home during term anyway (126)
29.51%

Watched Threads