Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    My girlfriend is just the worst at life... She always complains to me (her boyfriend) that she doesn't like here current life situation, and I am there not knowing what to tell her... She works in retail atm, and thinks that the other people working there (Primark) don't like her and don't want her working there with them.

I feel sorry for her and have tried to convince her that she is a great person, but she doesn't agree with me.

Any ideas on how I can cheer her up a bit?

ReputationRep:
    But does she do it...literally?

ReputationRep:
    Slightly misleading title.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sai4)
    But does she do it...literally?
    Oh... just realized the title might imply something else...

Yes, she does *literally* suck her milkshake with a straw.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nikey)
    Slightly misleading title.
    What were you thinking, cheeky little rascal

ReputationRep:
    What is she doing to change her situation?
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    Just be supportive, try to show her that she is a good person. Sometimes words are just that, has she done anything cool or awesome in her life you can remind her of?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RedGiant)
    Oh... just realized the title might imply something else...

Yes, she does *literally* suck her milkshake with a straw.
    So your pecker is the straw in this analogy

ReputationRep:
    Tell her to suck harder :sexface:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Avaia)
    Just be supportive, try to show her that she is a good person. Sometimes words are just that, has she done anything cool or awesome in her life you can remind her of?
    I want to be supportive and have tried telling her that she is a great person, but she won't accept it and thinks I'm "just saying it because I'm her boyfriend". She got some great GCSE results (8 A*s) but she doesn't seem like she is that impressed by them.

(Original post by Student-95)
    What is she doing to change her situation?
    That's the thing, I don't think she knows what she should do.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kevin Hodge)
    Tell her to suck harder :sexface:
    That would be a bit mean wouldn't it..? I want to try and make her feel the opposite tbh

(Original post by Sai4)
    So your pecker is the straw in this analogy
    Didn't mean it as an analogy... What do you mean?
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    All you can do is give her words of encouragement and maybe spend quality time with her like going to the cinema or on dates etc. That's honestly what a person who is in your position could do. Life is hard and working anywhere especially in retail isn't easy as I learnt from just working at M&S for 1 week.

btw the title is really misleading lol. My first though was

ReputationRep:
    That's the thing, I don't think she knows what she should do.
    Well what's so bad about her life? The only thing you mentioned is not getting on with her co-workers.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Student-95)
    Well what's so bad about her life? The only thing you mentioned is not getting on with her co-workers.
    She belives that they intentionally stay away from her at work, and they exclude her from the colleague banter. She thinks she just comes off as an unlikable person with a bad personality. Which isn't true I don't think, but I don't know how to convince her.

ReputationRep:
    She belives that they intentionally stay away from her at work, and they exclude her from the colleague banter. She thinks she just comes off as an unlikable person with a bad personality. Which isn't true I don't think, but I don't know how to convince her.
    Doesn't sound like you're convinced yourself. Is she particularly popular outside of work?

ReputationRep:
    Well working at Primark is not good, nearly as bad as shopping there.

ReputationRep:
    Your girlfriend can come be mine so I can get discount on calvino classics in primarni, you know how the ham butty crumbles, if theres brown sauce on the pork pie, eat up honey bun

ReputationRep:
    This thread turned out to be highly disappointing.

ReputationRep:
    When you're dealing with something hard that stresses you, it's hard to believe in the people around you that love you and show you how great you are because you don't feel like that at all. Talk to her and remain supportive, of course, there's not much you can do. Also mention other options you know of, like changing jobs. Maybe she should apply to somewhere else and she's feel better and happier. I hope I helped!

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 24, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.