Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hello peeps,

I am applying for University for next year and was wondering whether or not it would be smart to take Economics with one other discipline such as:

- Economics and Politics
    - Economics and Management
    - Economics and Finance
    - Economics and Accounting, etc.

...Or Economics on its own.

1) Which one gives me more Employability?
    2) Which one gives me a decent career for Monetary Interest?
    3) Which is more enjoyable or 'dull' and boring?

Thank you for your time and response!

ReputationRep:
    The right answer depends on what you want to achieve. If you know you want a career in accounting, or finance, then you could do the joint degree. However the single subject still accesses these professions. Mgmt would add a new dimension in things like marketing. I would say politics is most divorced from the commercial careers, but is relevant to careers in public policy. So, if you know where you are heading you can pick a joint. However single economics is a valued subject on its own. The price you pay for doing a joint degree is that you will be restricted in your economics optional modules. This can prevent you exploring new ideas that you hadn’t thought of studying when you started. So...joint degrees are good if you i) know where you are heading, or ii) really want to study both subjects. Otherwise, if you simply enjoy economics, do the single.
    Financially, prospects.ac.uk tells you the earning potential of different jobs. An economics degree is generally a useful entry to finance and analysis roles and these are typically well paid.

Whether it is enjoyable depends on what you enjoy! In most degrees there will be parts you love, and parts that are more of a chore.

The most important consideration is that a degree is 3 years, so pick what you will be good at and enjoy.

A long winded answer - i hope it helps you decide. Best wishes.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.