Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I’m in year 12 and I just started preparing for the Ukcat. I’m finding the abstract reasoning questions extremely hard! I started really early because I’m struggling and I want to be as prepared as possible. I timed my self on these questions and I take for ever to find the answer and most of the time I can’t figure out the answer. I need help, what do I do ?? Any techniques to help with speed and most importantly being able to answer it. I’m currently using the 1200 Questions ics book.

I would REALLY appreciate any help!
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor
    • Study Helper

My honest advice is to stop preparing now. You have ages to go and you will run out of good quality questions so will likely end up peaking too soon. It would be far better for you to concentrate on your A-Levels.

You can worry about AR and the rest of the UKCAT next year - it's all about practise (but as I said, not too soon - it's not like any other test you've done).

ReputationRep:
    It's far too early to start now, you want about 3/4 weeks of solid practice. It's not like an A level exam, it's an aptitude test, so you won't be trying to space out your revision, but rather do a lot of intense practice in the weeks leading up the exams. Besides, your A Levels are the most important thing right now. After your exams you should start prep for the BMAT.

Also, I personally didn't find the 1250Q book very useful as it didn't give an accurate representation of the test. I'd say to use Medify close to your exam date as it gives you a good idea of the test conditions and they offer thousands of questions.

ReputationRep:
    It's way too early. I did 3 weeks of light practice before going on holiday for 2 weeks after my exams, then did 2 weeks of intense practice after that using Medify and ended up with a good score. Focus getting as high A level predictions as possible first. At most you'd need is a month overall to prepare (after exams)

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.