Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

I got a parking fine because my GF fainted Watch

ReputationRep:
    I just received a letter in the post saying I have a parking fine. They have photo evidence of my car arriving and leaving. I did overstay (paid for an hour and car was parked for an hour and a half). That day my girlfriend fainted when I was in town with her. She only fainted for about 30 seconds but I laid her on her back and got her to sip water then got her to very slowly get up and walk back to my car without any sudden movements. So unfortunately we got back to the car late and I had a ticket. I was to appeal this fine but I literally have no proof that she fainted - I didn't call the ambulance or anything. Is there even any point in appealing this as it is legitimate but I have literally 0 proof.

ReputationRep:
    Without any evidence your appeal will be dismissed immediately

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Avaia)
    Without any evidence your appeal will be dismissed immediately
    That's what I thought :/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dylantombides)
    That's what I thought :/
    You could try to contact them, there may be a 0.001% chance you get a compassionate person who believes you...but they deal with people making stuff up like this all the time, so they prolly will just treat you the same as those

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Avaia)
    You could try to contact them, there may be a 0.001% chance you get a compassionate person who believes you...but they deal with people making stuff up like this all the time, so they prolly will just treat you the same as those
    Ok thank you

ReputationRep:
    I'd be grateul if i could have any second opinions, thanks.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    I just received a letter in the post saying I have a parking fine. They have photo evidence of my car arriving and leaving. I did overstay (paid for an hour and car was parked for an hour and a half). That day my girlfriend fainted when I was in town with her. She only fainted for about 30 seconds but I laid her on her back and got her to sip water then got her to very slowly get up and walk back to my car without any sudden movements. So unfortunately we got back to the car late and I had a ticket. I was to appeal this fine but I literally have no proof that she fainted - I didn't call the ambulance or anything. Is there even any point in appealing this as it is legitimate but I have literally 0 proof.
    You'll get varying responses, here. You did overstay, and you should probably pay the fee, but given it's probably a private car park, you can probably get away with just ignoring it.

You don't really have grounds for appeal, though, so it's a case of pay or ignore.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IWMTom)
    You'll get varying responses, here. You did overstay, and you should probably pay the fee, but given it's probably a private car park, you can probably get away with just ignoring it.

You don't really have grounds for appeal, though, so it's a case of pay or ignore.
    It is a private car park. The fee is £100 but reduced to £60 if I pay in the next 2 weeks. Im incredibly low on money and this is just the final spanner in the works. I'd love to not pay it but don't want to get in trouble for not paying it hmmm
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    It is a private car park. The fee is £100 but reduced to £60 if I pay in the next 2 weeks. Im incredibly low on money and this is just the final spanner in the works. I'd love to not pay it but don't want to get in trouble for not paying it hmmm
    Strictly speaking, you agreed to the contract of parking in the car park, but whether they'll actually take you to court over it is questionable - whilst they have the right to do so, it probably wouldn't be worth their time, and that seems to be the result many people have both here and on other forums.

Depends how morally questionable you are, really.

ReputationRep:
    You're needlessly throwing away money and being a plum if you pay any of the fines those con-merchants give you. They'll probably send you a few letters and call you a few times and make it sound like it's in your interest to pay them. It isn't.

ReputationRep:
    The percentage of these fines litigated over has increased dramatically since the Supreme Court decision in Beavis in 2015. Furthermore, if it is taken to court, you need to note two things: 1) your girlfriend fainting is not a defence even if you can prove it; and 2) if it is pursued, you will likely incur total costs of around £300-500 once admin fees are added and taken into account. You can choose not to pay and not every one is litigated over but it is decidedly risky to do so.

The one thing I would point out is that if it is a Notice to Keeper and they have no evidence that you were driving, it needs to have been issued within 14 days under Schedule 4 of the Protection of Freedoms Act.

ReputationRep:
    Actually, OP, you were fined because you stayed in the car park for too long. That's really the beginning, middle, and end of the issue as far as the car park need be concerned. I do not know quite why you would imagine that your GF's state of consciousness would be the car park's lookout and financial risk rather than your own.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.